1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

COMSOL electrostatics question

1. Jun 16, 2009 #1
    Hello,

I am trying to use the electrostatics module in COMSOL ( I just started a few days ago). The other day, I was able to create a 2D box, apply a charge at one side (via boundary condition), and ground the other sides. I solved, and got a neat output, that I suspect is correct.

Then, I tried to create a box, extrude it, and apply a boundary condition to one face, but, I was unable to. For the 2D box, I just double clicked, and BC dialog came up, is it possible to do this for a 3D shape? Applying a _static_ boundary condition to one face of the box is my immediate problem.

In the long run, I hope to apply a positive static charge to one side, a positive static charge to the opposite face, and calculate the force between the faces.

Thanks for your help,
    sean

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2009 #2
    Sean,
    make sure 3D is selected from your initial menu while opening comsol. Once in the 3D environment (with your box drawn) set the boundary conditions. I think this should work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook