Comsol-Shear stress with velocity profile

In summary, the discussion was about calculating shear stress in a fluid flow between two parallel plates using Comsol. The solution obtained was twice the analytical solution, which was determined using the equation Tou=viscosity*(Umax/h). The calculation with the velocity profile from Comsol was done using Tou=viscosity*(du/dy), calculated from the u,y values in the profile. The question was whether there is an error in the approach, to which it was suggested to look into the dimensionless parameter for pressure driven flow.
baranii2000
Dear all,

I was trying to calculate the shear stress due to fluid flow inbetween two parallel plates from the velocity profile taken from the middle of the flow channel (along vertical axis 'y') using comsol. The solution i got is two times the analytical solution i have calculated. The analytical equation i have used here is
Tou=viscosity*(Umax/h)

where tou is shear stress, umax is the max velocity
h is half of the distance between plates.

The calculation with velocity profile from comsol is done by

Tou= viscosity*(du/dy)
du/dy, i calculated with excel from the u,y values in the velocity profile.

the velocity profile is parabolic and looks laminar.
is that i am doing something wrong?

Thanks

Arun

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I think your analytical expression is wrong. For pressure driven flow, there should be a dimensionless parameter which depends on the pressure gradient. Look up Couette flow in any fluid dynamics textbook.

Hello Arun,

Thank you for sharing your findings and question. It is important to carefully evaluate any differences between analytical and numerical solutions, as they can provide valuable insights into the accuracy and limitations of both methods.

In this case, the two times difference between your analytical solution and the solution from comsol may be due to a number of factors. One possibility is the use of different assumptions or boundary conditions in the two methods. It may also be related to the precision and convergence of the numerical solution in comsol.

I would recommend taking a closer look at the specific settings and inputs used in both methods to see if there are any discrepancies. It may also be helpful to compare your results with other published studies using comsol for similar problems.

Overall, it is important to carefully validate and compare results from different methods in order to gain a better understanding of the underlying physics and to ensure the accuracy of your calculations.

Best of luck with your research.

Sincerely,

1. What is Comsol and how does it calculate shear stress?

Comsol is a multiphysics simulation software that uses finite element analysis to solve complex engineering and scientific problems. It calculates shear stress by solving the Navier-Stokes equations, which describe the motion of viscous fluids.

2. Can Comsol simulate shear stress with a velocity profile?

Yes, Comsol has the capability to simulate shear stress with a velocity profile. This can be done by defining the fluid properties, boundary conditions, and geometry in the simulation setup.

3. How accurate are the results from a Comsol simulation of shear stress with a velocity profile?

The accuracy of the results depends on various factors such as the quality of the mesh, convergence criteria, and the accuracy of the physical properties entered. With proper setup and validation, Comsol can provide accurate results for shear stress with a velocity profile.

4. Can Comsol be used to study the effects of different materials on shear stress with a velocity profile?

Yes, Comsol has a wide range of material properties and models that can be used to simulate different materials and their effects on shear stress with a velocity profile. This makes it a valuable tool for studying the behavior of various materials in different fluid flow conditions.

5. Are there any tutorials or resources available for learning how to simulate shear stress with a velocity profile in Comsol?

Yes, Comsol provides a variety of tutorials, examples, and documentation on their website to help users learn how to simulate shear stress with a velocity profile. There are also online forums and user communities where experts share their knowledge and provide support for using Comsol.