Conan, Leno, Letterman, Kimmel, Fallon, or Other?

• Thread starter FrancisZ
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around late night talk show hosts, particularly Conan O'Brien and Jay Leno. Some members preferred Conan over Leno, while others enjoyed Jimmy Kimmel's show. There was also discussion about the recent controversy involving Conan being replaced by Leno on The Tonight Show. Some members expressed sympathy for Conan, while others felt he was being compensated with a large buyout. There was also mention of a petition to keep Conan on the air and a donation opportunity for Haitian relief.

Who is your favorite Late Night Host?

• Total voters
FrancisZ
Well, honestly: I like Conan; and I like Leno too.

And I believe that both Conan and Leno are really just 2 good guys trying hard not to get the shaft in this situation.

For the record however...

conan03.jpg

I'm with Coco. I grew-up with Conan (actually I even remember Merv Griffin, Johnny Carson, and Tom Snyder). I'd been to the show when it was in Manhattan. And I've always thought Conan was great.

This is maybe a stupid topic for the forum; still I'd feel pretty badly if Conan went off the air once this all pans out.

I didn't think his new show was as funny as the old--it seemed to me that they weren't allowing him to use a lot of the old bits (aside from the "In the Year 2000" which was technically changed to 3000).

I miss the Pimpbot...

Pimpbot5000.jpg

the Clutch Cargo bits, and "If they mated."What do you think? There is also a poll attached for you statistician out there.-Z

Physics news on Phys.org
My interest in late nite shows ended with Johnny Carson, although I did watch a bit of Leno.

Evo said:
My interest in late nite shows ended with Johnny Carson, although I did watch a bit of Leno.

Honestly, just about the only thing I watch consistently is the Daily Show (or The News Hour on PBS); and the Daily Show I want streaming sometimes.

TV has almost no time in my life anymore (too tired).

Maybe that is exactly the problem for those late night host.

Out of that list, I like Leno best. Can't stand Conan, and wish Fallon would get the stick up his back removed (he could be funny, but looks stiff and uncomfortable, which ruins it...plus they keep dressing him in hideous suits with ties that match the suit color, which only adds to that stiff geeky look). Letterman is long past his prime and I don't even turn on his show anymore.

Though, I agree with Evo that Late Night TV has not been the same since Johnny Carson retired. :frown:

choice = Other - closest to the truth-

As in .. NONE OF THE ABOVE

I watch none of them.
The poll pre-concludes that some, or any of them are watched, and excludes ME.

I'm more of a Jimmy Kimmel fan.

Math Is Hard said:
I'm more of a Jimmy Kimmel fan.

I just noticed Kimmel is in the thread title but not the poll. I do like him. I just don't watch him often and forget, because the channel he's on is the one the TV in my bedroom doesn't get (the TV is probably close to 20 years old and needs replacing). I only watch those late night shows when in bed.

people still watch network television?

Kimmel and Fallon should be shot and buried in a hole in the desert.

And I believe that both Conan and Leno are really just 2 good guys trying hard not to get the shaft in this situation.

From what I hear, Leno is just being a baby about this. I never found him all that funny to be honest. I feel sorry for Conan having to move his family and his whole life to LA just to get this. I remember seeing either conan or Leno making a funny joke during their show though. They went "Yah it looks like I won't be hosting this show for long. That's fine, I think it's a good time for a vacation. I hear FOX is nice this time of year" :biggrin:

I'm with coco.

Did you see the bit where Leno interviewed Kimmel? Oh it was awesome

I liked Conan over Leno and Letterman though he still annoyed me sometimes.
I've only seen clips of Kimmel but I think that I would enjoy his show from what I have seen.

Before last year, I'd watch Letterman and then switch to Conan since I never much cared for Leno and Craig Ferguson doesn't quite match Conan (though he is funnier at times). But after Conan took the Tonight Show, I had to decide between him and Dave--Conan's always got funnier stunts and skits, but Dave's jokes are usually funnier. So watching late night shows meant flipping back and forth between channels for most of the summer (since I only have time to watch clips during the rest of the year).

Kimmel's interview with Leno made me respect Kimmel so much more. He's always been funny, he just has a worse timeslot than Tonight and the Late Show, as far as I'm concerned.

And The Daily Show is amazing too, I'm just glad it's replayed during the day or I'd never get anything done at night.

Pengwuino said:
From what I hear, Leno is just being a baby about this. I never found him all that funny to be honest. I feel sorry for Conan having to move his family and his whole life to LA just to get this. I remember seeing either conan or Leno making a funny joke during their show though. They went "Yah it looks like I won't be hosting this show for long. That's fine, I think it's a good time for a vacation. I hear FOX is nice this time of year" :biggrin:
I agree that they are trying to give Conan the shaft here, but I'd be pretty ok with getting an $80 million buyout to go with that shaft...

There's a petition to keep Conan at 11:35...

If you love Conan, please sign this...

http://www.imwithconan.com/petition

Also, you can make a donation for Haitian relief through Google...

http://www.google.com/relief/haitiearthquake/

Last edited by a moderator:
I found this interesting, even though I have no idea what's going on, since I don't watch TV.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Who is the most successful late night talk show host?

The most successful late night talk show host is currently Jimmy Fallon, with an average viewership of 2.5 million per episode.

2. How long has Conan O'Brien been hosting his late night show?

Conan O'Brien has been hosting his late night show for 27 years, starting with Late Night with Conan O'Brien in 1993 and currently hosting Conan on TBS.

3. What is the difference between Jimmy Kimmel and Jimmy Fallon's late night shows?

The main difference between Jimmy Kimmel and Jimmy Fallon's late night shows is their comedic style. Kimmel tends to focus on political satire and current events, while Fallon leans more towards celebrity interviews and musical performances.

4. Who has the longest-running late night talk show in history?

The longest-running late night talk show in history is The Tonight Show, with Johnny Carson hosting for 30 years from 1962 to 1992, and Jay Leno hosting for 22 years from 1992 to 2014.

5. How do late night talk show hosts prepare for their shows?

Late night talk show hosts typically spend their days researching current events and topics, writing jokes and monologues, and rehearsing with their writers and production team. They also have meetings with guests to discuss interview topics and prepare for any skits or games they may play on the show.

Back