Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conan, Leno, Letterman, Kimmel, Fallon, or Other?

1. Conan

33.3%
  2. Leno

12.5%
  3. Letterman

20.8%
  4. Jimmy Fallon

8.3%
  5. Other

25.0%
  1. Jan 15, 2010 #1
    Well, honestly: I like Conan; and I like Leno too.

And I believe that both Conan and Leno are really just 2 good guys trying hard not to get the shaft in this situation.

For the record however...

conan03.jpg

I'm with Coco. I grew-up with Conan (actually I even remember Merv Griffin, Johnny Carson, and Tom Snyder). I'd been to the show when it was in Manhattan. And I've always thought Conan was great.

This is maybe a stupid topic for the forum; still I'd feel pretty badly if Conan went off the air once this all pans out.

I didn't think his new show was as funny as the old--it seemed to me that they weren't allowing him to use a lot of the old bits (aside from the "In the Year 2000" which was technically changed to 3000).

I miss the Pimpbot...

Pimpbot5000.jpg

the Clutch Cargo bits, and "If they mated."

What do you think? There is also a poll attached for you statistician out there.

-Z

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2010 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

My interest in late nite shows ended with Johnny Carson, although I did watch a bit of Leno.

4. Jan 15, 2010 #3
    Honestly, just about the only thing I watch consistently is the Daily Show (or The News Hour on PBS); and the Daily Show I want streaming sometimes.

TV has almost no time in my life anymore (too tired).

Maybe that is exactly the problem for those late night host.

5. Jan 15, 2010 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Out of that list, I like Leno best. Can't stand Conan, and wish Fallon would get the stick up his back removed (he could be funny, but looks stiff and uncomfortable, which ruins it...plus they keep dressing him in hideous suits with ties that match the suit color, which only adds to that stiff geeky look). Letterman is long past his prime and I don't even turn on his show anymore.

Though, I agree with Evo that Late Night TV has not been the same since Johnny Carson retired. :frown:

6. Jan 15, 2010 #5
    choice = Other - closest to the truth-

As in .. NONE OF THE ABOVE

I watch none of them.
    The poll pre-concludes that some, or any of them are watched, and excludes ME.

7. Jan 15, 2010 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm more of a Jimmy Kimmel fan.

8. Jan 15, 2010 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just noticed Kimmel is in the thread title but not the poll. I do like him. I just don't watch him often and forget, because the channel he's on is the one the TV in my bedroom doesn't get (the TV is probably close to 20 years old and needs replacing). I only watch those late night shows when in bed.

9. Jan 15, 2010 #8
    people still watch network television?

10. Jan 15, 2010 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Kimmel and Fallon should be shot and buried in a hole in the desert.

From what I hear, Leno is just being a baby about this. I never found him all that funny to be honest. I feel sorry for Conan having to move his family and his whole life to LA just to get this. I remember seeing either conan or Leno making a funny joke during their show though. They went "Yah it looks like I won't be hosting this show for long. That's fine, I think it's a good time for a vacation. I hear FOX is nice this time of year" :biggrin:

11. Jan 15, 2010 #10
    I'm with coco.

Did you see the bit where Leno interviewed Kimmel? Oh it was awesome

12. Jan 15, 2010 #11
    I liked Conan over Leno and Letterman though he still annoyed me sometimes.
    I've only seen clips of Kimmel but I think that I would enjoy his show from what I have seen.

13. Jan 15, 2010 #12
    Before last year, I'd watch Letterman and then switch to Conan since I never much cared for Leno and Craig Ferguson doesn't quite match Conan (though he is funnier at times). But after Conan took the Tonight Show, I had to decide between him and Dave--Conan's always got funnier stunts and skits, but Dave's jokes are usually funnier. So watching late night shows meant flipping back and forth between channels for most of the summer (since I only have time to watch clips during the rest of the year).

Kimmel's interview with Leno made me respect Kimmel so much more. He's always been funny, he just has a worse timeslot than Tonight and the Late Show, as far as I'm concerned.

And The Daily Show is amazing too, I'm just glad it's replayed during the day or I'd never get anything done at night.

14. Jan 15, 2010 #13

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I agree that they are trying to give Conan the shaft here, but I'd be pretty ok with getting an $80 million buyout to go with that shaft...

15. Jan 15, 2010 #14
    There's a petition to keep Conan at 11:35...

If you love Conan, please sign this...

http://www.imwithconan.com/petition [Broken]

Also, you can make a donation for Haitian relief through Google...

http://www.google.com/relief/haitiearthquake/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  16. Jan 16, 2010 #15
    I found this interesting, even though I have no idea what's going on, since I don't watch TV.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook