Concave mirror positioning help

In summary, a concave shaving mirror with a radius of curvature of 40 cm is positioned to create an upright image of a man's face that is 3.30 times the size of the face. Using the equations M = Si/S and 1/S + 1/Si = 2/R, the mirror is found to be 13.94 cm away from the face.
I_LuV_FiZiX

Homework Statement

A concave shaving mirror has a radius of curvature of 40 cm. It is positioned so that the (upright) image of a man's face is 3.30 times the size of the face. How far is the mirror from the face?

Homework Equations

M = Si/S 1/S + 1/Si = 2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I have 2 equations with 2 unknowns. I isolated Si in the first one and substituted this expression into equation 2 to find S. I get an answer of 26.1cm.

The computer keeps telling me I'm wrong though. Could someone check my math or tell me if my equation setup is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
oops never mind i got it... 13.94cm

As a scientist, it is important to always double check your calculations and equations to ensure accuracy. In this case, your equation setup is correct, but your calculations may have an error. I would suggest checking your work again and making sure you are using the correct values for the radius of curvature and the magnification (3.30 times the size of the face). If you are still getting a different answer, it may be helpful to consult with a classmate or your teacher for assistance. Additionally, you can also use online resources or formula solvers to confirm your answer. Remember, in science, it is important to always validate your results and seek help when needed.

Question 1: What is a concave mirror?

A concave mirror is a reflective surface that curves inward, like a cave. It is also known as a converging mirror because it reflects light rays inwards and brings them to a focus point.

Question 2: How do I position a concave mirror?

The optimal positioning of a concave mirror depends on its use. For a magnifying or makeup mirror, it should be positioned at a distance where the object being reflected appears clear and enlarged. For a telescope or projector, the concave mirror should be placed at the focal point of the light source or lens.

Question 3: What is the focal point of a concave mirror?

The focal point of a concave mirror is the point at which parallel light rays will converge after being reflected off the mirror. It is located halfway between the mirror's surface and its center of curvature.

Question 4: How does the object's distance affect the image produced by a concave mirror?

The distance of the object from the concave mirror affects the size and position of the image produced. When the object is placed beyond the focal point, the image will be real, inverted, and smaller than the object. When the object is placed between the mirror and the focal point, the image will be virtual, upright, and larger than the object.

Question 5: What are some common uses for concave mirrors?

Concave mirrors have various practical applications, such as in makeup or magnifying mirrors, telescopes, projectors, and headlights. They are also used in funhouse mirrors to create distorted reflections for entertainment purposes. In science, they are used in experiments to study light and optics, and in physics to demonstrate concepts such as reflection and refraction.