Concepts of a Piston cylinder device

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a cylinder/piston arrangement containing 5 kg of water at 100°C with x = 20%. The piston, mP = 75 kg, is resting on stops and the outside pressure is 100 kPa. The cylinder area is given as A = 24.5 cm2. Heat is added until the water reaches a saturated vapor state, and the initial volume, final pressure, work, and heat transfer terms are to be determined and shown on a P-v diagram. The speaker is unsure if the process is happening at constant pressure and questions whether the area given is for the piston or the cylinder. It is later clarified that the area given is for the piston.
Xyius
3.A cylinder/piston arrangement contains 5 kg of water at 100°C with x = 20% and the piston, mP = 75 kg, resting on some stops. The outside pressure is 100 kPa, and the cylinder area is A = 24.5 cm2. Heat is now added until the water reaches a saturated vapor state. Find the initial volume, final pressure, work and heat transfer terms and show the process on a P–v diagram.

At this point I really only need help with the concept behind the problem. Is it correct of me to assume the process is happening in constant pressure? I am unsure because the mass of the piston is given and I am assuming that the heavier the piston the higher the pressure below it.

Also he gives me the area of the cylinder, do you think he meant the area of the piston? Because I do not know what he means by the area of the cylinder. Would that include the piston bottom as one of the caps on the cylinder?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I emailed him, he did mean piston area. Although I am still unsure whether or not this would be constant pressure or not..

1. What is a piston cylinder device?

A piston cylinder device is a mechanical system that consists of a piston and a cylinder. The piston moves up and down inside the cylinder, converting pressure into mechanical work. This device is commonly used in engines, pumps, and other machines that require controlled movement or compression of gases or fluids.

2. How does a piston cylinder device work?

A piston cylinder device works by using the principle of pressure and volume. When the piston moves down, it creates a low pressure inside the cylinder, allowing the fluid or gas to enter. As the piston moves up, it compresses the fluid or gas, increasing its pressure and temperature. This pressure can then be used to perform work.

3. What are the different types of piston cylinder devices?

There are several types of piston cylinder devices, including single-acting, double-acting, and rotary. Single-acting devices have a piston that moves in one direction, while double-acting devices have a piston that moves in both directions. Rotary devices use a rotating piston to convert pressure into work.

4. What materials are used to make piston cylinder devices?

Piston cylinder devices are typically made from strong and durable materials such as steel, aluminum, or cast iron. These materials are able to withstand high pressures and temperatures and are commonly used in industry and transportation applications.

5. What are the advantages of using a piston cylinder device?

Piston cylinder devices have several advantages, including their efficiency, reliability, and versatility. They are able to convert energy from one form to another, making them useful in a wide range of applications. They also have a simple design and are easy to maintain, making them a cost-effective choice for many industries.