Conceptual GR question (regarding orbit paths)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Einstein Field Equations (EFEs) and the Schwarzschild metric in General Relativity. It is mentioned that the metric can be derived from the EFEs, and that objects in a space-time will move along geodesics according to GR. The question then arises about the role of velocity in determining the trajectory of an object, and it is suggested that velocity may affect the space-time and therefore the geodesics. The equations for geodesics in the Schwarzschild metric are provided, and it is noted that the constant h is related to angular momentum per unit mass and is velocity dependent. The conversation also touches on the use of the stress energy tensor and the existence of
Matterwave
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm by no means even adequate in the field of General relativity, so if my question is dumb, please excuse me.

Anyways, so I know that from the EFE's you can get the metric for the space-time you are considering, and from this metric you can get the geodesics of this space-time using calculus of variations. (Intensely tedious imo)

So, according to the GR, a freely moving body will move along to the geodesics, correct?

So, my question is, where does the velocity of that object come into play? I know that objects moving at different velocities will exhibit different trajectories, but this is not readily apparent if you just say all freely moving bodies will move along the geodesics of the space-time.

My guess on this matter would be that motion creates a Lorentz contraction (from Special relativity), which changes the space-time that you "see" in such a way that the geodesics are changed. Am I on the right track here? Or is there like a velocity term in the deriving of the geodesics, but it just doesn't look that way from the equations I've been looking at?

The equations for geodesics I'm looking at are (for the Schwarzschild metric):

[tex]\frac{d^2u}{d\phi^2}+u=\frac{m}{h^2}+3mu^2[/tex]
[tex]r^2\frac{d\phi}{ds}=h[/tex]

Where u=1/r, m and h are constants of integration (m is actually the mass of the sun). I was not told, in my textbook, what h actually is. Is h velocity dependent maybe?

Physics news on Phys.org
Matterwave said:
So, my question is, where does the velocity of that object come into play? I know that objects moving at different velocities will exhibit different trajectories, but this is not readily apparent if you just say all freely moving bodies will move along the geodesics of the space-time.
The initial velocity in space determines the initial direction in space-time. There are many geodesics passing the starting point in space time. But with the initial direction given you get a unique one.

Oh phoo, I had forgotten that the geodesics include time. <_<

Ok thanks. :)

Matterwave said:
I was not told, in my textbook, what h actually is. Is h velocity dependent maybe?

Which book? Roughly, [itex]h[/itex] is angular momentum per unit mass, and is the conserved quantity associated with the [itex]\phi[/itex]-independence of the metric. Yes, [itex]h[/itex] is velocity dependent.

If you want to play visually with relativistic orbits, try

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1091901a#post1091901.

I calculate [itex]h[/itex] from initial conditions. I might expand on how in a later post.

Yea, h actually was explained in the book I have - I should not have called it a textbook (Llillian Lieber's The Einstein Theory of Relativity) - except it was in a footnote, so I didn't notice at the time of the posting. :P

EDIT:
I have another question, sort of unrelated, but I don't want to start a new thread so...

So, the Schwarzschild metric was derived setting the stress energy tensor to 0, so I assume this solution only works in the space around the mass and not where the mass actually is, that is correct?

My question is then, when do you actually use the stress energy tensor? Are there solutions to the EFE's which include it?

Last edited:
Matterwave said:
So, the Schwarzschild metric was derived setting the stress energy tensor to 0, so I assume this solution only works in the space around the mass and not where the mass actually is, that is correct?
Thers is also an interior Schwarzschild metric for the part where the mass is. Search this forum or google it.

1. What is the difference between a stable and an unstable orbit path?

A stable orbit path is one in which an object orbits around another object at a constant distance without any changes in its speed or direction. An unstable orbit path, on the other hand, is one in which the object's speed or direction changes and it eventually falls out of orbit.

2. Can an object orbit in any direction?

Yes, an object can orbit in any direction as long as it has enough speed and is not obstructed by other objects.

3. How does the mass of an object affect its orbit path?

The mass of an object affects its orbit path by influencing the strength of the gravitational force between it and the object it is orbiting. The greater the mass, the stronger the gravitational force, which can result in a wider or more elliptical orbit path.

4. Why do some objects have elliptical orbits while others have circular orbits?

The shape of an object's orbit depends on its speed and the strength of the gravitational force. If the object has enough speed, it can maintain a circular orbit. If the speed is lower, the object may be pulled into an elliptical orbit by the gravitational force.

5. How does the distance between two objects affect their orbit paths?

The distance between two objects affects their orbit paths by determining the strength of the gravitational force between them. The closer the objects are, the stronger the force, resulting in a faster and more elliptical orbit. Conversely, the farther apart the objects are, the weaker the force, resulting in a slower and more circular orbit.