How Would Our World Change if hbar Were Larger?

In summary, Planch's constant [h bar] is a very small number that is often unnoticed in our macroscopic world. However, if [h bar] were larger, our world would be drastically different, with macroscopic objects displaying "quantum behavior". This can be seen through Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, which states that uncertainty in position multiplied by uncertainty in momentum is equal to h/4pi. If [h bar] were larger, the uncertainty in momentum would also increase, leading to a completely different world. In fact, if [h bar] were of order one in mks units, we would be living in the atomic world of atomic physics. Books such as "Mr. Thompkins in Wonderland" by
ayalam
1. Planch's constant[h bar] is really small, so small that in our macroscopic world we generally can't notice it. what if [h bar] were larger, what would our world be like if it were larger? How much larger would it have to be to so that macroscopic objects displayed "quantum behavior'.

2. how will our world be different if [h bar] were larger?

Physics news on Phys.org
Take Heisenberg's uncertainty principle:

uncertaintyinposition*uncertaintyinmomentum>=h/4pi.

And try to imagine what could happen.

hbar is only seems small because it is a small number if you use mks units.
In the same way the Earth is tiny if you use light years.
If you use atomic units, hbar is of order one.
Then you get the atomic world of atomic physics.
If hbar were of order one in mks units, we would be living in the atomic world.
There are books by George Gamow, "Mr. Thompkins in Wonderland",
published by Dover, that describe this world.

So if hbar were higher then momentums uncertainty will be higher. I understand that, i understand that the world would be different. For example I could walk to the store you can either know where I'm at (positon)or know my momentum never both. would that be the case? It makes sense to me that a 5000 hp car although fast to us is slow compared to maybe a cosmic ray.

1. What is the concept of quantum theory?

The concept of quantum theory is a fundamental theory in physics that describes the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains how particles behave differently at this scale than they do at a larger scale, and how they can exist in multiple states at the same time.

2. How does quantum theory differ from classical physics?

Quantum theory differs from classical physics in that it takes into account the probabilistic nature of particles at the subatomic level. Classical physics assumes that particles have definite properties and behave in a predictable manner, while quantum theory allows for uncertainty and the possibility of particles existing in multiple states simultaneously.

3. What is the concept of superposition in quantum theory?

Superposition is a key concept in quantum theory that describes how particles can exist in multiple states or positions at the same time. This means that a particle can be in two or more places or states simultaneously until it is observed or measured.

4. What is the role of observation in quantum theory?

In quantum theory, observation plays a crucial role in the behavior of particles. The act of observing or measuring a particle causes it to collapse into a single state or position, thus determining its properties. This is known as the observer effect and is a fundamental aspect of quantum theory.

5. How has quantum theory been applied in technology and everyday life?

Quantum theory has been applied in many modern technologies, such as transistors, lasers, and computer storage. It also plays a role in everyday life through technologies like GPS and MRI machines. Quantum theory has also led to advances in cryptography and quantum computing, which have the potential to greatly impact our daily lives in the future.