1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conclusion from the factorization theorem of functions.

1. Oct 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that [tex]\forall[/tex] f:X[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]Y there [tex]\exists[/tex] Z, h: X[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]Z is injective and g: Z[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]Y is surjective, so that f=g*h.

2. Relevant equations

There is already a conclusion from the factorisation theorem of functions that: [tex]\forall[/tex] f:X[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]Y there [tex]\exists[/tex] Z, h: X[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]Z is surjective and g: Z[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]Y is injective, so that f=g*h.

But how to prove it just from applaying it from other side..
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

What do you mean "applaying it from the other side.."?

I for one need some context here. In this equation, f=g*h, '*' looks like ordinary multiplication, but with the sets that are involved, do you mean composition (i.e., g [tex] \circ [/tex] h)?

Also, it's not clear to me what you're saying here:
    I don't understand the stuff above. What I think you are saying is:
    For any f, where f:X[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]Y, there is an injective function h, where h: X[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]Z, and a surjective function g, where g: Z[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]Y, so that f = g[tex]\circ[/tex]h.
  4. Oct 26, 2008 #3
    Ok. Don't watch the stuff above then. I might have sentenced it wrong.

You are absoultely right. This is what I try to say and proof. Yes I mean composition. Sorry about the wrong symbol. g [tex] \circ [/tex] h is what i meant.
  5. Oct 26, 2008 #4

Staff: Mentor

So what did you mean by "applaying it from the other side.."?
  6. Oct 26, 2008 #5
    I just tried to say that almost the same sentence (only when function h is surjective and function g is injective) is a conclusion from a theorem(functions factorization theorem). but i try to proof the sentence where h is injective and g is surjective.. so i thought maybe it can be proved on the same way..
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?