1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Condition for condensation from adiabatic expansion

1. Apr 15, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Screen%20Shot%202017-04-15%20at%2012.31.43_zpsaqy8mauj.png
    I'm stuck on part (c) of this question.
    2. Relevant equations
    $$T\frac{d}{dT}\bigg(\frac{L}{T}\bigg) \equiv \frac{dL}{dT} - \frac{L}{T}.$$
    Clausius-Clapeyron equation:
    $$ \frac{dp}{dT} = \frac{L}{T\Delta V} \approx \frac{L}{TV_{vap}}.$$
    3. The attempt at a solution
    My approach has been to find the equations for the adiabatic expansion in the p-T plane, given by
    $$\ln\bigg(\frac{p}{p_0}\bigg) = \frac{C_{p_{vap}}}{R}\ln T$$
    and the equation for the liquid-vapour phase coexistence curve, given by
    $$\ln\bigg(\frac{p}{p_0}\bigg) = -\frac{L_0}{RT} + \frac{\Delta C_p}{R}\ln T.$$
    Then for condensation to occur, the curves need to intersect (I can worry about the inequality later). This gives $$\frac{L_0}{T} + C_{p_{liq}}\ln T = 0.$$

Try as I might, I can't seem to turn this into the answer they want. I also don't see how any condition on intersection can be formed by considering the gradients. Is there something important I've missed/a slip in my algebra?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2017 #2
    I would start (c) by doing the following:
    $$dS=\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_PdT+\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial P}\right)_TdP$$
    So, at constant entropy,
    $$dS=\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_PdT+\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial P}\right)_TdP=0$$
    I would also use: $$\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial P}\right)_T=-\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}\right)_P$$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted