Condition for periodicity of linear combination of signals

In summary, the condition for the continuous time signal x(t) to be periodic if it is the linear combination of n periodic signals is that the fundamental periods T_1, T_2, ..., T_n are all integer multiples of each other. The fundamental period of x(t) is the least common multiple of T_1, T_2, ..., T_n. This is because x(t) will only be periodic if k_1, k_2, ..., k_n are integers, indicating the number of wavelengths of each x_i(t) in the period T. Therefore, x(t) can only be periodic if the fundamental periods are integer multiples of each other.
the_amateur
What is the condition for the continuous time signal x(t) to be periodic if it is the linear combination of n periodic signals.

where

x(t) = a[itex]_{1}[/itex]x[itex]_{1}[/itex](t)+a[itex]_{2}[/itex]x[itex]_{2}[/itex](t)+a[itex]_{3}[/itex]x[itex]_{3}[/itex](t)+......a[itex]_{n}[/itex]x[itex]_{n}[/itex](t)

where
x[itex]_{i}[/itex](t) is periodic with fundamental period T[itex]_{i}[/itex] [itex]\forall[/itex] i, where i [itex]\in[/itex] [1,n]Also provide the fundamental period of x(t) with a proof. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let the fundamental period of [itex]x(t)[/itex] be [itex]T[/itex] such that [itex]x(t)=x(t+T)[/itex]. Then

[itex]x(t+T)=a_1x_1(t+T) + a_2x_2(t+T) + \ldots + a_nx_n(t+T)[/itex]
[itex] =a_1x_1(t+k_1T_1) + a_2x_2(t+k_2T_2) + \ldots + a_nx_n(t+k_nT_n) = x(t)[/itex].

Hence, [itex]x(t)[/itex] is periodic with the period [itex]T[/itex] only if [itex]k_1, k_2, \ldots k_n[/itex] are some integers. Then, since we have

[itex]T=k_1T_1 = k_2T_2 = \ldots = k_nT_n[/itex],

the fundamental period of [itex]x(t)[/itex], [itex]T[/itex], is the least common multiple of [itex]T_1, T_2, \ldots, T_n[/itex].

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer!

I guess here k[itex]_{i}[/itex] indicates the number of wavelengths of x[itex]_{i}[/itex](t) in the time period T of x(t).So it has to be an integer as only then x(t) can be periodic.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

Your guess is correct.

thanks again!

What is the definition of periodicity in signals?

Periodicity in signals refers to the property of a signal where it repeats itself after a certain time interval. This means that the signal has a consistent pattern or shape that is repeated over and over again.

How do you determine the periodicity of a signal?

The periodicity of a signal can be determined by observing the signal's period, which is the time interval between two consecutive repetitions of the signal's pattern. If the period is constant, then the signal is periodic.

What is the condition for periodicity of a linear combination of signals?

The condition for periodicity of a linear combination of signals is that all the individual signals in the combination must be periodic with the same period. Additionally, the coefficients of the signals in the combination must also be integers.

What happens if the condition for periodicity of a linear combination of signals is not met?

If the condition for periodicity is not met, then the resulting signal will not be periodic. Instead, it may exhibit some periodic-like behavior, but it will not have a consistent period or pattern.

Why is the condition for periodicity important in signal analysis?

The condition for periodicity is important because it allows us to predict and analyze the behavior of signals over time. It also helps us understand how different signals can interact and combine to create new periodic signals. This is essential in many scientific and engineering applications, such as in telecommunications, audio processing, and data analysis.