How to determine minimum amount of AND and OR gates in PLA?

In summary, according to the given information, a PLA should have 2^n gates and Gates for n input variables and for m output variables from the PLA. The solution to the given problem is known to be 3 AND and 3 OR gates.
Peter Alexander

Homework Statement

Realization of given three functions
$$
\begin{array}{c} f_{1}=x_{1}\bar{x}_{2}\bar{x}_{3}+x_{2}x_{3}\bar{x}_{4}\\ f_{2}=\bar{x}_{3}x_{4}+x_{1}\bar{x}_{2}\bar{x}_{3}\\ f_{3}=x_{2}x_{3}\bar{x}_{4}+\bar{x}_{3}x_{4} \end{array}
$$
using the PLA.

Homework Equations

I don't know what to write here. Probably that according to Wikipedia, PLA should have ##2^n## AND Gates for ##n## input variables and for ##m## outputs from PLA, there should be ## OR Gates

The Attempt at a Solution

The thing is that I'm completely stuck on this problem and I don't even know how to begin. I do have a decent background in combinational logic circuits, but not in the PLA as I don't understand it at all. The solution, however, is known to be 3 AND and 3 OR gates.

Can someone please give me some information on how to begin solving this task? I don't think I need the full procedure, only some advice on where to begin or where to look.

Any sort of helpful information is welcomed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure this is the right question? You'll also need some NOT / NOR / NAND / XOR / XNOR gates. You need this to get the complementary terms. i.e x'

Likes donpacino and Peter Alexander
Yes, double checked it. The thing is, it did take me awhile, but I think I understand how PLA works. It's composed of AND and OR plane. Input variables, in this particular case, are brought to the AND gates. Connections must be programmed. From AND gates connections lead to OR gates and those connections need to be programmed as well.

I don't know, however, how to produce the minimum amount of AND and OR gates.

Edit: the construction of PLA I'm mentioning comes DIRECTLY from how professor explained it to us. He never told us how to minimize the design, though.

Does this figure help? It kind of depends on the PLA, but this shows a typical architecture. Does it match the PLAs that you have been discussing in class?

https://courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse370/99sp/lectures/03-CombImpl/img048.gif
img048.gif

Attachments

• img048.gif
    img048.gif
    13.3 KB · Views: 612
Likes Peter Alexander
Peter Alexander said:
I don't know, however, how to produce the minimum amount of AND and OR gates.

If you have a decent background in digital logic you should know these things. see the website in the line below for tools you can use.
http://district.bluegrass.kctcs.edu/kevin.dunn/files/Simplification/4_Simplification_print.html

That being said, look into kmaps. By writing the solutions over 1 kmap, you may be able to find different ways to reduce across the three functions

Also for this problem do you have access to both the input and the inversion of the input? (you should if its a good PLA). This will make it trivial to find the solution

Likes Peter Alexander
I would like to thank both of you (sorry for the delayed response). I actually figured out how things work, and the links you provided, along with the replies, really helped a lot.

Thank you so much!

1. What is a PLA?

A PLA (Programmable Logic Array) is a digital circuit that consists of AND and OR gates interconnected in a programmable pattern to perform a specific logic function.

2. How do I determine the minimum amount of AND and OR gates needed in a PLA?

The minimum amount of gates needed in a PLA can be determined by analyzing the truth table of the desired logic function. The number of inputs in the truth table will correspond to the number of AND gates needed, and the number of distinct outputs will correspond to the number of OR gates needed.

3. What factors should be considered when determining the minimum amount of gates in a PLA?

Aside from the truth table, the complexity of the logic function, the number of inputs and outputs, and the number of product terms should also be taken into account. In some cases, simplifying the logic function can also reduce the number of gates needed in a PLA.

4. Can a PLA have more than the minimum amount of gates?

Yes, a PLA can have more gates than the minimum amount. This can happen when the desired logic function is complex and cannot be simplified further. In some cases, adding extra gates can also improve the speed and efficiency of the circuit.

5. Are there any tools or methods to help determine the minimum amount of gates in a PLA?

Yes, there are tools and methods available to help determine the minimum amount of gates in a PLA. Some software programs, such as logic minimization tools, can analyze the truth table and provide the most efficient logic function with the minimum amount of gates. Additionally, the Quine-McCluskey method can also be used to simplify the logic function and reduce the number of gates needed.