1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Condition for stable equlibrium

1. May 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A homogeneous wooden bar of length 10 cm, thickness 4 cm and weight 1 Kg is balanced
    on the top of a semicircular cylinder of radius R as shown below. Calculate the
    minimum radius of the semicircular cylinder if the wooden bar is at stable equilibrium.
    ?temp_hash=ff5d8793a573727d0f3d7c73d119c317.jpg

2. Relevant equations

Potential energy E=mgh and its derivatives.

3. The attempt at a solution

Stable equilibrium means the first derivative of potential energy is zero and its second derivative must be greater than zero(local minima). So, I have to express the PE of the wooden bar in terms of R and find minimum R to satisfy above conditions. But here the CM of the bar is at R+(4/2)=R+2 cm above the ground. So, second derivative of PE is always 0? Where am I going wrong? Also, how to approach problems like these in general? I had read about equilibrium a long time back and the concepts are a bit muddled up.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The CM doesn't stay at R+2 if the beam is wiggled !

4. May 6, 2015 #3
    Thanks BvU. Yes, I googled similar problems and understood what needs to be done. By displacing the block by θ I calculate the new CM height which comes out to be
    h=Rcosθ+Rθsinθ+2cosθ
    Now, it is just differentiating twice. So, for equilibrium, is the width of the block(10 cm) irrelevant? I didn't find it's use in the height equation or am I missing something?

5. May 6, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ah, you mean the length :smile: !

Didn't work out h myself, and you don't show the steps, so I can't really tell. Suppose you're right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted