1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conditional Distribution Functions

1. Jul 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If X1 is uniform on [0,1], and, conditional on X1, X2, is uniform on [0,X1], find the joint and marginal distributions of X1 and X2

2. Relevant equations

conditional joint distribution

3. The attempt at a solution

f(x1|x2) = 1/x1 (for 0<x2<x1)
    f(x1) = 1 ( for 0<x1<1)

then
    F(x1,x2) = Integrate (1/x1) from {x2,0,x2}{x1,0,x1}
    I get an ln(0) when i try to integrate however

for the marginal distribution of x2, i get X2~[0,X1] //i am not sure if thats the answer they are looking for, if i try to write an explicit density function for X2 i get that the density is infinity, again due to the ln (0) term.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have it exactly backwards: you are given ##f(x_2|x_1)##, not ##f(x_1|x_2).##

Also: what does the notation "Integrate(1/x1) from {x2,0,x2}{x1,0,x1}" mean? I have never seen that before.

Anyway, the first thing to do is to answer the question "what is the joint distribution of ##(X_1,X_2)?## You have not done that.

4. Jul 10, 2013 #3
    wouldn't the joint density be:
    f(X1,X2) = 1/X1

and I was saying to find the marginal density f(X2) you would integrate the above expression

5. Jul 10, 2013 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, f(x1,x2) = 1/x1, bit only on an appropriate region in (x1,x2)-space. You need to spell out the details.

Of course you need to do an integral to get the marginal distibution of x2, but that was not the point. I asked what you meant by the weird notation "Integrate(1/x1) from {x2,0,x2}{x1,0,x1}". This looks like something you invented that nobody else knows about, but surely you must have in mind some meaning for it. I am asking you to explain that meaning---in detail, not just saying that you need to integrate. That is: what is the integration variable, and what are the limits of integration?Even better, what is the final answer you get?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted