1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conditional Probability Distribution

1. May 31, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

attachment.php?attachmentid=47884&stc=1&d=1338504146.png

3. The attempt at a solution

I have that the joint probability mass function would be

[itex]\Pi_{i=1}^{k} \frac{\lambda_{i}^{n_{i}}}{n_{i}!} e^{-\lambda_{i}}[/itex]

How would I go about applying the conditional to get the conditional distribution?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to compute
    [tex] P(N_1 = n_1, N_2 = n_2, \ldots, N_k = n_k | \sum_{i=1}^k N_i = n)
    = \frac{ P(N_1 = n_1, N_2 = n_2, \ldots, N_k = n_k \: \& \sum_{i=1}^k N_i = n)}{P(\sum_{i=1}^k N_i = n)}[/tex] for any k-tuple [itex] (n_1, n_2, \ldots, n_k)[/itex] that sums to n. Can you simplify the "event" in the numerator probability? Can you compute the denominator probability?

RGV

4. May 31, 2012 #3
    I don't understand how the [itex] \sum_{i=1}^k N_i = n[/itex] term constrains the joint distribution, given that each [itex]\lambda_{i}[/itex] can be distinct.

Also, to evaluate [itex]P(\sum_{i=1}^k N_i = n)[/itex], wouldn't this be the joint distribution, evaluated at [itex]N_{1}=n-\sum_{i=2}^{k}N_{i}[/itex] and then [itex]N_{2}=n-\sum_{i=3}^{k}N_{i}[/itex] and so on? I feel that's wrong because it doesn't seem like it'd collapse down nicely.

5. May 31, 2012 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The [itex] \lambda_i[/itex] have absolutely nothing to do with the [itex] n_i[/itex]; if you think they do, then you seriously misunderstand the material. The formula you wrote for the joint pmf is [itex] P(N_1 = n_1, \ldots, N_k = n_k).[/itex] The only role of the [itex] \lambda_i[/itex] is to control the size of this probability, but that has nothing to do with the [itex] n_i[/itex] values themselves.

RGV

6. May 31, 2012 #5
    But because the joint PMF is a multiplication of the individual PMFs, the term becomes [itex]\lambda_{1}^{n_{1}}\lambda_{2}^{n_{2}}\lambda_{3}^{n_{3}}...[/itex] which means the term [itex]\sum_{i=1}^k N_i = n[/itex] doesn't appear in the joint PMF (although it would if the [itex]\lambda_{i}[/itex] were equal), so I don't understand how the condition [itex]\sum_{i=1}^k N_i = n[/itex] is applied to give [itex]P(N_1 = n_1, N_2 = n_2, \ldots, N_k = n_k \: \& \sum_{i=1}^k N_i = n)[/itex]

7. May 31, 2012 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try first to figure out what happens when k = 2, then maybe k = 3. You should see a pattern emerging.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook