Conditional Probability Distribution

In summary, the conditional probability for a given event, given that another event has already occurred, can be computed by multiplying the conditional probability for that event by the joint probability mass function for all the events that have already occurred.
SP90

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=47884&stc=1&d=1338504146.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I have that the joint probability mass function would be

[itex]\Pi_{i=1}^{k} \frac{\lambda_{i}^{n_{i}}}{n_{i}!} e^{-\lambda_{i}}[/itex]

How would I go about applying the conditional to get the conditional distribution?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-05-31 at 23.41.23.png
    Screen Shot 2012-05-31 at 23.41.23.png
    17 KB · Views: 660
Physics news on Phys.org
SP90 said:

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=47884&stc=1&d=1338504146.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I have that the joint probability mass function would be

[itex]\Pi_{i=1}^{k} \frac{\lambda_{i}^{n_{i}}}{n_{i}!} e^{-\lambda_{i}}[/itex]

How would I go about applying the conditional to get the conditional distribution?

You need to compute
[tex] P(N_1 = n_1, N_2 = n_2, \ldots, N_k = n_k | \sum_{i=1}^k N_i = n)
= \frac{ P(N_1 = n_1, N_2 = n_2, \ldots, N_k = n_k \: \& \sum_{i=1}^k N_i = n)}{P(\sum_{i=1}^k N_i = n)}[/tex] for any k-tuple [itex] (n_1, n_2, \ldots, n_k)[/itex] that sums to n. Can you simplify the "event" in the numerator probability? Can you compute the denominator probability?

RGV

I don't understand how the [itex] \sum_{i=1}^k N_i = n[/itex] term constrains the joint distribution, given that each [itex]\lambda_{i}[/itex] can be distinct.

Also, to evaluate [itex]P(\sum_{i=1}^k N_i = n)[/itex], wouldn't this be the joint distribution, evaluated at [itex]N_{1}=n-\sum_{i=2}^{k}N_{i}[/itex] and then [itex]N_{2}=n-\sum_{i=3}^{k}N_{i}[/itex] and so on? I feel that's wrong because it doesn't seem like it'd collapse down nicely.

SP90 said:
I don't understand how the [itex] \sum_{i=1}^k N_i = n[/itex] term constrains the joint distribution, given that each [itex]\lambda_{i}[/itex] can be distinct.

Also, to evaluate [itex]P(\sum_{i=1}^k N_i = n)[/itex], wouldn't this be the joint distribution, evaluated at [itex]N_{1}=n-\sum_{i=2}^{k}N_{i}[/itex] and then [itex]N_{2}=n-\sum_{i=3}^{k}N_{i}[/itex] and so on? I feel that's wrong because it doesn't seem like it'd collapse down nicely.

The [itex] \lambda_i[/itex] have absolutely nothing to do with the [itex] n_i[/itex]; if you think they do, then you seriously misunderstand the material. The formula you wrote for the joint pmf is [itex] P(N_1 = n_1, \ldots, N_k = n_k).[/itex] The only role of the [itex] \lambda_i[/itex] is to control the size of this probability, but that has nothing to do with the [itex] n_i[/itex] values themselves.

RGV

But because the joint PMF is a multiplication of the individual PMFs, the term becomes [itex]\lambda_{1}^{n_{1}}\lambda_{2}^{n_{2}}\lambda_{3}^{n_{3}}...[/itex] which means the term [itex]\sum_{i=1}^k N_i = n[/itex] doesn't appear in the joint PMF (although it would if the [itex]\lambda_{i}[/itex] were equal), so I don't understand how the condition [itex]\sum_{i=1}^k N_i = n[/itex] is applied to give [itex]P(N_1 = n_1, N_2 = n_2, \ldots, N_k = n_k \: \& \sum_{i=1}^k N_i = n)[/itex]

SP90 said:
But because the joint PMF is a multiplication of the individual PMFs, the term becomes [itex]\lambda_{1}^{n_{1}}\lambda_{2}^{n_{2}}\lambda_{3}^{n_{3}}...[/itex] which means the term [itex]\sum_{i=1}^k N_i = n[/itex] doesn't appear in the joint PMF (although it would if the [itex]\lambda_{i}[/itex] were equal), so I don't understand how the condition [itex]\sum_{i=1}^k N_i = n[/itex] is applied to give [itex]P(N_1 = n_1, N_2 = n_2, \ldots, N_k = n_k \: \& \sum_{i=1}^k N_i = n)[/itex]

Try first to figure out what happens when k = 2, then maybe k = 3. You should see a pattern emerging.

RGV

What is a conditional probability distribution?

A conditional probability distribution is a probability distribution that shows the probabilities of different outcomes of an event, given that some other event has occurred. In other words, it represents the probability of an event happening under a specific condition.

How is a conditional probability distribution calculated?

The conditional probability distribution is calculated by dividing the probability of the joint occurrence of two events by the probability of the condition being met. This is represented by the formula P(A|B) = P(A and B) / P(B), where A and B are events.

What is the difference between a conditional probability distribution and a marginal probability distribution?

A conditional probability distribution shows the probabilities of outcomes under a specific condition, while a marginal probability distribution shows the probabilities of outcomes without any conditions. In other words, a marginal probability distribution is a sum of all possible conditional probability distributions.

How is a conditional probability distribution represented graphically?

A conditional probability distribution can be represented graphically using a probability tree or a contingency table. These visual representations help to better understand the relationship between different events and their probabilities under a specific condition.

What is the importance of conditional probability distribution in statistics?

Conditional probability distribution is important in statistics as it allows us to make more accurate predictions by taking into account the effect of certain conditions on the outcome of an event. It is also useful in decision making and risk analysis by considering the likelihood of different outcomes under specific conditions.