1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conditional Probability of children

1. Feb 6, 2009 #1
    This is probably relatively easy, but I'm still a bit confused...

The question:

A family has j children with probability p1 = .1, p2 = .25, p3 = .35, p4 = .3.
    A child is randomly chosen. Given this child is the eldest in the family, find the conditional probability that
    a) Family has 1 child
    b) Family has 4 children

A is easy (1), so let's move to b.

I have the following setup

E = event child is eldest
    F = event family has 4 children

P(E) = (1*.1) + (.5 * .25) + (.3333 * .35) + (.25 * .3)

And

P(F) = .3

So the set up should be P(F|E) = .25*P(E)/P(E) ??

The events are independent correct? So I probably shouldn't include the ratio of how many children there are to choose from multiplied by the probability??

I'm kind of anxious and worried. Got 3 tests to study for an am sick. So I apologize if it's too easy :)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

These problems tend to make my head hurt. And hence give wrong answers. But isn't the pool of children to select from only the oldest members of each family, given your given? If a) then reads 'at least one child', then sure. Probability 1. If a) reads 'exactly one child' isn't it just .1. Likewise for b) isn't it just .3? I may be more confused than enlightening here. Perhaps I don't understand the problem.

4. Feb 9, 2009 #3
    I think I figured it out. I think it's the probability of having 4 children (.3) times 1/4 divided by P(E) where
    P(F|E) = .25 * .30
    P(E) = 1*.1 + 1/2*.25 + 1/3*.35 + 1/4*.3

P(F|E) / P(E) ?

Does this seem right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook