Conditional Probability of computer password

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of a virus attacking a second computer in a password-protected wireless network, given that the first computer was not attacked. The solution involves finding the probability of the second computer being attacked, which is .3/.5 or .6. The speaker also asks if they can post another question on this thread or if they should create a new one for it.
lina29

Homework Statement

Two computers are connected to a password-protected wireless network. When the password is temporarily removed, a virus can attack the first computer with probability 0.5, the second computer with probability 0.7, and it can attack both computers with probability 0.4.

The first computer was not attacked at all. What is the probability that the second computer was attacked?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume I need the find P(B|complement of A)= P(B^ complement of A)/complement of A
so I got .7/.5= 1.4 and I know that's wrong since probabilities can't be over 1
Am I supposed to do .3/.5= .6 instead?

Physics news on Phys.org
lina29 said:

Homework Statement

Two computers are connected to a password-protected wireless network. When the password is temporarily removed, a virus can attack the first computer with probability 0.5, the second computer with probability 0.7, and it can attack both computers with probability 0.4.

The first computer was not attacked at all. What is the probability that the second computer was attacked?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume I need the find P(B|complement of A)= P(B^ complement of A)/complement of A
so I got .7/.5= 1.4 and I know that's wrong since probabilities can't be over 1
Am I supposed to do .3/.5= .6 instead?

Yes, .3/.5. P(B^complement A)=0.3, right?

Thank you! I have another conditional probability question that I need help with. Am I allowed to post it on this thread or did I have to make another one?

lina29 said:
Thank you! I have another conditional probability question that I need help with. Am I allowed to post it on this thread or did I have to make another one?

You could. It's not against the rules. Can't say I'll be here to answer it though. Might be better to put it in a new thread. That way it will have zero answers and it will get more attention.

Last edited:

What is the definition of "Conditional Probability of computer password"?

The conditional probability of a computer password refers to the likelihood of a specific password being used given certain conditions or information. It takes into account the probability of a password being chosen and the likelihood of that password being known or guessed by an attacker.

How is the conditional probability of a computer password calculated?

The conditional probability of a computer password can be calculated by dividing the probability of the password being used by the probability of the password being known or guessed. This calculation takes into account any information or conditions that may affect the likelihood of a password being used.

What factors can influence the conditional probability of a computer password?

Some factors that can influence the conditional probability of a computer password include the length and complexity of the password, the frequency of password changes, and any additional security measures such as two-factor authentication. Other factors may include the sophistication of potential attackers and the security protocols in place for storing and transmitting passwords.

Why is understanding the conditional probability of a computer password important?

Understanding the conditional probability of a computer password is important for assessing the strength of a password and the overall security of a system. It can also help in identifying potential vulnerabilities and implementing appropriate security measures to protect against password attacks.

How can the conditional probability of a computer password be improved?

The conditional probability of a computer password can be improved by using longer and more complex passwords, regularly changing passwords, and implementing additional security measures such as two-factor authentication. It is also important to educate users on the importance of creating strong passwords and avoiding common password mistakes.