Confirm Correctness of Ant's Shadow Movement Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the ant's shadow movement when its coordinates are changing at different rates. The solution involves finding the derivative of the shadow's length and using similar triangles. The student made a mistake in their calculation, leading to an incorrect answer on their exam. They ask for feedback on how many marks they may lose due to this error.
mit_hacker

Homework Statement

(Q) A lamp is placed at the point (5,0) and it casts the shadow of an ant onto the y axis. When the ant is at point (1,2), how fast is the ant's shadow moving when the ant's x-coordinate is increasing at the rate of 1/2 units/sec and its y-coordinate is decreasing at 1/5units/sec?

I got -9/16. Is it correct? I just need to confirm whether I'm right or wrong.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
That's not at all what I get. Too bad you didn't show your working- I might have been able to point out an error.

Here we go!

Let the coordinates of the ant be x,y. Let the length of the shadow be s.

Our goal is to find ds/dt. By similar triangles, s/y = 5/(5-x).

So, 5s - sx = 5y
Differentiating,

5(ds/dt) - (s(dx/dt) + x(ds/dt)) = 5(dy/dt)

When (x,y) = (1,2), s = 5/2.

5(ds/dt) - (5/2)(1/2) - (1)(ds/st) = 5(-1/5).

4(ds/dt) = -9/4.

ds/st = -9/16

mit_hacker said:
Let the coordinates of the ant be x,y. Let the length of the shadow be s.

Our goal is to find ds/dt. By similar triangles, s/y = 5/(5-x).

So, 5s - sx = 5y
Differentiating,

5(ds/dt) - (s(dx/dt) + x(ds/dt)) = 5(dy/dt)

When (x,y) = (1,2), s = 5/2.

5(ds/dt) - (5/2)(1/2) - (1)(ds/st) = 5(-1/5).

4(ds/dt) = -9/4.
You "lost a sign"
4(ds/dt)= +5/4- 1= 1/4, not -9/4.

ds/st = -9/16

Dammit!

All because of this gross gross gross error, I got the answer wrong in the exam. How many marks do you think I'll lose (out of 5?).??

Thanks a ton!

Related to Confirm Correctness of Ant's Shadow Movement Equation

1. What is the Ant's Shadow Movement Equation?

The Ant's Shadow Movement Equation is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between an ant's shadow and its movement on a flat surface. It takes into account the position of the ant, the angle of the light source, and the distance between the ant and its shadow.

2. How can the correctness of the Ant's Shadow Movement Equation be confirmed?

The correctness of the Ant's Shadow Movement Equation can be confirmed by conducting experiments and comparing the results to the predicted values from the equation. The more accurate the predictions, the more likely the equation is correct.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of the Ant's Shadow Movement Equation?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the Ant's Shadow Movement Equation, such as the texture of the surface, the size and shape of the ant, and the accuracy of the light source. Additionally, external factors like wind or vibrations can also affect the ant's movement and therefore the accuracy of the equation.

4. Can the Ant's Shadow Movement Equation be applied to all types of surfaces?

The Ant's Shadow Movement Equation is specifically designed for flat surfaces, so it may not be applicable to all types of surfaces. Additionally, surfaces with varying textures or slopes may require adjustments to the equation for more accurate predictions.

5. What are the practical applications of the Ant's Shadow Movement Equation?

The Ant's Shadow Movement Equation has potential applications in robotics, as it can help in creating more accurate and efficient movement patterns for robots. It can also be used in fields such as agriculture and ecology, where studying the movement of small creatures like ants can provide valuable insights.