1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Crazy Elliptical shadow problem

1. Oct 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The figure shows a lamp located three units to the right of the y-axis and a show created by the elliptical region x2+4y2[tex]\leq[/tex]5. If the point (-5,0) is on the edge of the shadow, how far above the x-axis is the lamp located?

2. Relevant equations
    Implicit Differentiation has to fit in here, since the chapter is on Implicit Differentiation, just not sure how.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I figure the tangent line has to be at (-1,1) to be able to hit the lamp three units to the right...but I really just am not sure how to really start this problem...very confusing, can someone give me a starting point? Thank you very much for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The "light ray" from from (3, yL) to (-5, 0) that forms the edge of the shadow must be tangent to the ellipse (do you see why? If not draw a picture!). Let (x, y) be the point on the ellipse at which that line is tangent to the ellipse. Since it is a point on the ellipse, x2+4y2[tex]\leq[/tex]5 and you can use implicit differentiation to find the slope of the tangent line at that point as a function of y. That, together with the fact that (x,y) must be on the tangent line lets you solve for both x and yL. It is the latter you want.

4. Oct 5, 2008 #3
    I differentiated x2+4y2[tex]\leq[/tex]5 and got like dy/dx [tex]\leq[/tex] -2x/8y and then I did not know how to continue. I looked up the problem online and found another way to do it that I am not sure if its right, the person who did this solution said that the shadow area had to be translated so he did like (x+3),(y+a) or something and plugged that into the original equation, solved through and got 1/2 as the answer. Is this correct?? Help please I am having a lot of trouble understanding this problem. Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?