What is the Rate of Change of Shadow Length with Distance from a Pole?

In summary, a man 6 ft tall walks away from a street light mounted on a 15-ft-tall pole with a speed of 5 ft/s. The question asks for the speed of the tip of his shadow when he is 40 ft away from the pole. By using the Pythagorean theorem and similar triangles, the speed is determined to be 25/3 ft/s.
physics604
1. A street light is mounted at the top of a 15-ft-tall pole. A man 6 ft tall walks away from the pole with a speed of 5 fts along a straight path. How fast is the tip of his shadow moving when
he is 40 ft from the pole?

Homework Equations

$$x^2+y^2=z^2$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I've drawn a diagram so far (I've attached it to this thread), but I don't know where to start. Can someone give me a hint?

Attachments

• DIAGRAM.png
    DIAGRAM.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 542
Physics news on Phys.org
It would help to define some variables - let x=position of the man and y=position of the tip of his shadow.
So, off your diagram, s=y-x.

The question gives you dx/dt and asks you to find dy/dt.
If you can find a relationship between x and y, then you can find dy/dt in terms of dx/dt just by differentiating.
Hint: similar triangles.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Thanks! I got it!

$$25/3$$

Well done - don't forget your units.

What are derivatives?

Derivatives are mathematical quantities that represent the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point. They are used to calculate the slope of a tangent line to a curve, which can be used to analyze the behavior of a function.

What is the difference between instantaneous and average rates of change?

Instantaneous rate of change is the rate of change at a specific point on a curve, while average rate of change is the average rate of change over a specific interval. Instantaneous rate of change gives a more accurate representation of the behavior of a function at a specific point, while average rate of change is useful for analyzing overall trends in a function.

How are derivatives used in real life?

Derivatives are used in many fields, including physics, economics, and engineering. They can be used to model and analyze real-world phenomena such as motion, growth, and change in populations. In finance, derivatives are used for risk management and to determine the value of financial assets.

What is the chain rule in calculus?

The chain rule is a rule in calculus that allows us to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function evaluated at the inner function, multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

How do you find the derivative of a function?

To find the derivative of a function, you can use one of several methods, such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule. These rules allow you to find the derivative of a function by manipulating its algebraic form. Alternatively, you can also use the concept of limits to find the derivative of a function at a specific point.