Confirming Conservation of Kinetic Energy: An Explanation

In summary, confirming conservation of kinetic energy involves understanding the principle that energy is neither created nor destroyed, but rather transformed from one form to another. This conservation is demonstrated through the relationship between an object's mass, velocity, and kinetic energy, as well as the Law of Conservation of Energy. By analyzing various scenarios and conducting experiments, scientists have been able to confirm the validity of this fundamental law of physics.
hidemi
Homework Statement
For a completely inelastic two-body collision the kinetic energy retained by the objects is the same as:

A) the total kinetic energy before the collision
B) the kinetic energy of the more massive body before the collision
C) the kinetic energy of the less massive body before the collision
D) 1/2 Mv^2, where M is the total mass and v_com is the velocity of the center of mass
E) the difference in the kinetic energies of the objects before the collision

The answer is D
Relevant Equations
KE = 1/2 *MV^2
D is correct, the reasoning is as follows:
1/2*(M1V1)^2 + 1/2*(M2V2)^2 = 1/2 * (M1 + M2) (Vcm)^2, since V1 =V2 =Vcm
KE retained = KE final = 1/2 *M(Vcm)^2
Let me know if reasoning is okay?

However, why A isn't correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
hidemi said:
D is correct, the reasoning is as follows:
1/2*(M1V1)^2 + 1/2*(M2V2)^2 = 1/2 * (M1 + M2) (Vcm)^2, since V1 =V2 =Vcm
KE retained = KE final = 1/2 *M(Vcm)^2
Let me know if reasoning is okay?
That reasoning is not OK. You are assuming that the initial KE equals the final KE. But translational KE is not conserved. (Which is also why A is incorrect.)

Here's a simple example to show why that is not the case. Imagine two balls of clay heading toward each other with the same speed and mass. When they collide, assuming a perfectly inelastic collision, what's their final combined speed?

Doc Al said:
That reasoning is not OK. You are assuming that the initial KE equals the final KE. But translational KE is not conserved. (Which is also why A is incorrect.)

Here's a simple example to show why that is not the case. Imagine two balls of clay heading toward each other with the same speed and mass. When they collide, assuming a perfectly inelastic collision, what's their final combined speed?
Are the following what you mean?

(A): mv + m (-v) = ( m+m ) v'
v'= o
(D) (1/2 mv^2)*2 = 1/2 (2mv^2)

hidemi said:
(A): mv + m (-v) = ( m+m ) v'
v'= o
Assuming you are talking about the example I gave, then yes: Conservation of momentum (which applies in any collision) shows that the final speed of the clay is zero. (Not sure why you labeled it "A".)

hidemi said:
(D) (1/2 mv^2)*2 = 1/2 (2mv^2)
Not sure what you mean here. In my example, the final KE must be zero, since the final speed is zero. The initial KE is certainly not zero. KE is clearly not conserved in that collision.

Doc Al said:
Assuming you are talking about the example I gave, then yes: Conservation of momentum (which applies in any collision) shows that the final speed of the clay is zero. (Not sure why you labeled it "A".)Not sure what you mean here. In my example, the final KE must be zero, since the final speed is zero. The initial KE is certainly not zero. KE is clearly not conserved in that collision.
Sorry for the confusion. Thanks for confirming Option (A).
As for Option (D) being the correct answer, does that contradict with the given answer that the KEs of initial and final are not conserved?

hidemi said:
Thanks for confirming Option (A).
Just to be clear, I confirmed that Option (A) is incorrect. :smile:

hidemi said:
As for Option (D) being the correct answer, does that contradict with the given answer that the KEs of initial and final are not conserved?
Option (D) is perfectly consistent with KE not being conserved. Note that they are just asking for the final KE, which you can get from conservation of momentum. And that final KE is given in Option (D).

Doc Al said:
If I use the example you gave previously for option (D),
then KE initial = 1/2*mv^2 + 1/2*m(-v)^2, while KE final (or, retained) = 1/2 * (2m)v'^2, where v'=0.
Therefore, the retained kinetic energy isn't equal to 1/2*mv^2, but 0.

I'm not sure if I misused your given example for Option (D). However, I now understand Option (A) and thanks again for the confirmation.

hidemi said:
If I use the example you gave previously for option (D),
then KE initial = 1/2*mv^2 + 1/2*m(-v)^2, while KE final (or, retained) = 1/2 * (2m)v'^2, where v'=0.
Therefore, the retained kinetic energy isn't equal to 1/2*mv^2, but 0.
Good.

Doc Al said:
Good.
With what I said in post #7, does that make Option (D) the given answer incorrect?

hidemi said:
With what I said in post #7, does that make Option (D) the given answer incorrect?
No. Why would you think that?

In post #7, you are discussing my example. But even in that example, Option (D) is still correct. In my example, V_com = 0, so the final KE = 1/2(M)(V_com)^2 = 0. But Option (D) still applies, as it must for any completely inelastic collision.

Doc Al said:
No. Why would you think that?

In post #7, you are discussing my example. But even in that example, Option (D) is still correct. In my example, V_com = 0, so the final KE = 1/2(M)(V_com)^2 = 0. But Option (D) still applies, as it must for any completely inelastic collision.
Ok I see. Thanks.

None of the options is true in general.
Option D is correct if the collision is a coalescence. More generally, it could be a glancing blow, in which case it is ##\frac 12Mv^2##, where v is the component of ##v_{com}## along the line of mass centres at collision.

haruspex said:
None of the options is true in general.
Option D is correct if the collision is a coalescence. More generally, it could be a glancing blow, in which case it is ##\frac 12Mv^2##, where v is the component of ##v_{com}## along the line of mass centres at collision.

But the problem says... "completely inelastic"...
hidemi said:
Homework Statement:: For a completely inelastic two-body collision the kinetic energy retained by the objects is the same as:

'D' makes no allowance for RE, but it's the definition for (translational) kinetic energy.

f) none of the above.

robphy said:
But the problem says... "completely inelastic"...
What I described involves no elasticity.
From https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inelastic_collision:
"For two- and three-dimensional collisions the velocities in these formulas are the components perpendicular to the tangent line/plane at the point of contact."

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is a scalar quantity that depends on an object's mass and velocity.

2. How is kinetic energy conserved?

Kinetic energy is conserved when the total amount of kinetic energy in a closed system remains constant. This means that the initial kinetic energy of the system is equal to the final kinetic energy, even if energy is transferred between objects within the system.

3. What is an example of kinetic energy conservation?

A simple example of kinetic energy conservation is a pendulum. As the pendulum swings back and forth, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy and back again. However, the total amount of energy remains constant.

4. How does kinetic energy relate to work?

Kinetic energy is closely related to work, as work is defined as the change in kinetic energy of an object. This means that when work is done on an object, its kinetic energy will change.

5. Why is it important to confirm conservation of kinetic energy?

Confirming conservation of kinetic energy is important because it is a fundamental law of physics. It helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion and is essential for many practical applications, such as designing machines and calculating the motion of objects in space.