Conformal invariance / reparametrization invariance

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between conformal symmetry and reparametrization invariance. It is mentioned that conformal symmetry is a more general concept as it includes the constraints of the Cauchy-Riemann equations, while reparametrization invariance does not. The conversation also touches on the gauge fixing of the worldsheet metric and how it affects the action. Finally, a question is raised about a non-vanishing term in the computation of the action, and it is later realized that the equations used for the conformal transformation were incorrect.
buddychimp
Hi! I have little questions about symmetries. I begin in the field, so...

First about conformal symmetry. As I studied, in 2-d, a transformation [tex](\tau, \sigma) \to (\tau', \sigma')[/tex] changing the metric by a multiplicative factor implies that the transformation [tex](\tau, \sigma) \to (\tau', \sigma')[/tex] satisfies Cauchy-Riemann equations : [tex]\partial_\tau \tau' (\tau, \sigma) = \partial_\sigma \sigma'(\tau, \sigma)[/tex] and [tex]\partial_\sigma \tau' (\tau, \sigma) = - \partial_\tau \sigma'(\tau, \sigma)[/tex]. Under such a transformation [tex](\tau, \sigma) \to (\tau', \sigma')[/tex], one can verify that the Polyakov action remains unchanged and we say the action is conformally invariant. (Correct?)

What is not clear to me is the following. We also have reparametrization invariance. But I would be tempted to say that reparametrization implies conformal symmetry since it seems to be more general: we still start from a transformation [tex](\tau, \sigma) \to (\tau', \sigma')[/tex], but without the constraints [tex]\partial_\tau \tau' (\tau, \sigma) = \partial_\sigma \sigma'(\tau, \sigma)[/tex]. I'm wrong somewhere, but I can't figure out where.

Thanks for your help.

(I have created a new topic for clarity)

Physics news on Phys.org
A mapping is said to be conformal if it locally preserves angles. So the derivatives of the new parameters must be orthogonal and of the same length. It must be orthogonal since the derivatives of the old parameters are naturally orthogonal ( (1,0), (0,1) ), and of the same length because every vector need to preserves angles. This is only ensured when the Cauchy-Riemann equations are satisfied.

If you have an invariance, but the Cauchy-Riemann equations for your transformation are not satisfied, it's not a conformal symmetry.

You are right, but I think the appearance of conformal symmetries comes because of one subtlety.
The gauge fixing of the worldsheet metric to an euclidean metric using reparametrization and weyl symmetries leaves behind some more residual symmetries (which are roughly transformation of one being canceled by the other) which actually turns out to be the conformal symmetries of the worldsheet metric.
So roughly, conformal symmetry "=" reparametrization "-" weyl symmetry

Thanks for the answers, this is more clear. But...

I run into problem checking conformal invariance. I consider the Polyakov action with gauge fixing [tex]h=\text{diag}(1,-1)[/tex]. We obtain (up to a constant factor)

[tex]S_P=\int d\tau d\sigma \left( \frac{\partial X^\mu}{\partial \tau}
\frac{\partial X_\mu}{\partial \tau} - \frac{\partial X^\mu}{\partial \sigma}
\frac{\partial X_\mu}{\partial \sigma} \right) [/tex]

where [tex]X^\mu[/tex] are the coordinate functions of the worldsheet.

Now, if we consider a conformal transformation, i.e. a map [tex](\tau, \sigma) \mapsto (\tau', \sigma')[/tex] satisfying [tex]\partial_\tau \tau' = \partial_\sigma \sigma'[/tex] and [tex]\partial_\sigma \tau' = - \partial_\tau \sigma'[/tex],

we obtain

[tex]d\tau' d\sigma' = \left( \frac{\partial \tau'}{\partial \tau}
\frac{\partial \sigma'}{\partial \sigma} - \frac{\partial \tau'}{\partial \sigma}
\frac{\partial \sigma'}{\partial \tau} \right) d\tau d\sigma = \Big\lbrack \left(\frac{\partial \tau'}{\partial\tau}\right)^2 - \left(\frac{\partial \tau'}{\partial\sigma}\right)^2 \Big\rbrack d\tau d\sigma [/tex]

Now the action becomes

[tex]S_P = \int d\tau d\sigma \Big\lbrack \left( \frac{\partial X^\mu }{\partial \tau'}\frac{\partial \tau' }{\partial \tau} + \frac{\partial X^\mu }{\partial \sigma'}\frac{\partial \sigma' }{\partial \tau} \right) \left( \frac{\partial X_\mu }{\partial \tau'}\frac{\partial \tau' }{\partial \tau} + \frac{\partial X_\mu }{\partial \sigma'}\frac{\partial \sigma' }{\partial \tau} \right) - \left( \frac{\partial X^\mu }{\partial \tau'}\frac{\partial \tau' }{\partial \sigma} + \frac{\partial X^\mu }{\partial \sigma'}\frac{\partial \sigma' }{\partial \sigma} \right) \left( \frac{\partial X_\mu }{\partial \tau'}\frac{\partial \tau' }{\partial \sigma} + \frac{\partial X_\mu }{\partial \sigma'}\frac{\partial \sigma' }{\partial \sigma} \right) \Big\rbrack[/tex]

and after some computations, I almost get it right. I obtain :

[tex]S_P = A + B[/tex]

with

[tex]A = \int d\tau d\sigma \left( \frac{\partial X^\mu}{\partial \tau'}
\frac{\partial X_\mu}{\partial \tau'} - \frac{\partial X^\mu}{\partial \sigma'}
\frac{\partial X_\mu}{\partial \sigma'} \right) \Big\lbrack \left(\frac{\partial \tau'}{\partial\tau}\right)^2 - \left(\frac{\partial \tau'}{\partial\sigma}\right)^2 \Big\rbrack = S'_P[/tex]

and unfortunatly a extra non-vanishing term

[tex]B= 4 \int d\tau d\sigma \frac{\partial \tau'}{\partial \tau} \frac{\partial \sigma'}{\partial \tau} \frac{\partial X^\mu}{\partial \tau'} \frac{\partial X_\mu}{\partial \sigma'}[/tex]

Any idea to get rid off this B term? I have double checked, triple checked my computations, it's still there. I would really appreciate some help, I thought it would be an easy check... and I'm stuck on this for a while now.

I think I get it. I forgot that we here consider (orientation preserving) conformal transformations with respect to a Minkowsky metric, which leads to the equations [tex]\partial_\tau \tau' = \partial_\sigma \sigma'[/tex] and [tex]\partial_\sigma \tau' = \partial_\tau \sigma'[/tex] for a metric h=diag(1,-1). Cauchy-Riemann equations are obtained for the euclidean metric...

1. What is conformal invariance?

Conformal invariance is a property of a mathematical function or physical system that remains unchanged under conformal transformations, which are transformations that preserve angles but allow for changes in scale. In other words, a conformally invariant function or system will look the same regardless of how it is scaled or stretched.

2. What is reparametrization invariance?

Reparametrization invariance is a property of a mathematical function or physical system that remains unchanged under changes in the parameterization used to describe it. In other words, a reparametrization invariant function or system will give the same results regardless of the specific parameter values used to describe it.

3. How are conformal invariance and reparametrization invariance related?

Conformal invariance and reparametrization invariance are closely related, as they both involve transformations that leave certain properties of a function or system unchanged. In fact, conformal invariance can be thought of as a specific type of reparametrization invariance, where the transformations are restricted to those that preserve angles.

4. What is the significance of conformal invariance and reparametrization invariance in physics?

Conformal invariance and reparametrization invariance are important concepts in physics because they can help simplify and unify theories. For example, in string theory, these properties are used to construct models that are consistent with both quantum mechanics and general relativity.

5. Are there any practical applications of conformal invariance and reparametrization invariance?

Yes, there are several practical applications of conformal invariance and reparametrization invariance. For example, these concepts are used in image processing to correct for distortions caused by lens and camera optics. They are also employed in statistical models to account for different parameterizations of data and in machine learning algorithms to improve efficiency and accuracy.