Conformal map to convert circle to a line

In summary, z^2 + 1/z^2 makes the geometry similar to that of a plane on the horizontal axis with a circle centered on the origin. I can use the method of images (I think) but I was thinking of another map that would flatten out the circle and keep that plane in its current form. z^2 + 1/z^2 does flatten out the circle, if the circle has radius 1. It is easiest to think about what the map does to each of the three boundary surfaces, independently; i.e., what happens to points on the real axis > a, on the imaginary axis > ia, and on the quarter-circle of radius a.
shehry1
I need a conformal mapping that would map an ellipse or a circle to a line. I need this for the http://physics.indiana.edu/~berger/p506_fall2008/p506ps6.pdf" .

As far as I can understand, z^2 + 1/z^2 makes the geometry similar to that of a plane on the horizontal axis with a circle centered on the origin. I can use the method of images (I think) but I was thinking of another map that would flatten out the circle and keep that plane in its current form.

Not that it matters, I tried to tailor the homographic projection to my needs but couldn't get it to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
z^2 + 1/z^2 does flatten out the circle, if the circle has radius 1. You need to modify this map to flatten out a circle of radius a.

It is easiest to think about what the map does to each of the three boundary surfaces, independently; i.e., what happens to points on the real axis > a, on the imaginary axis > ia, and on the quarter-circle of radius a. If you can't visualize what happens, then try plugging in a complex number into the map to see where it goes (i.e., try x, iy, and ae^(it)).

Ben Niehoff said:
z^2 + 1/z^2 does flatten out the circle, if the circle has radius 1. You need to modify this map to flatten out a circle of radius a.

It is easiest to think about what the map does to each of the three boundary surfaces, independently; i.e., what happens to points on the real axis > a, on the imaginary axis > ia, and on the quarter-circle of radius a. If you can't visualize what happens, then try plugging in a complex number into the map to see where it goes (i.e., try x, iy, and ae^(it)).

Hmmm...seems very simple now that you have put it that way - guess that's the whole thing. Thanks a lot. Would try it as soon as I get the time

Also, keep in mind a line is just a circle passing throgh infinity. (In this geometry, I mean)

1. How does a conformal map convert a circle to a line?

A conformal map preserves angles and shapes locally, meaning that it maintains the same proportions and shapes in small areas. This allows it to transform a circular shape into a linear shape without distorting the overall shape.

2. What is the mathematical equation for a conformal map?

The mathematical equation for a conformal map is f(z) = u(x,y) + iv(x,y), where z is a complex number, u and v are real-valued functions, and i is the imaginary unit.

3. Can a conformal map only convert circles to lines?

No, a conformal map can also convert other shapes such as squares, triangles, and polygons to different shapes.

4. What are some real-world applications of conformal maps?

Conformal maps have many practical applications in fields such as cartography, engineering, and physics. They are used to accurately depict 3D objects on 2D maps, model fluid flow, and analyze electric fields, among other things.

5. Are there any limitations to using a conformal map?

Yes, conformal maps have limitations in that they can only preserve angles and shapes locally, meaning that distortions may occur in larger areas. They also may not accurately represent highly complex or irregularly shaped objects.