Confused about Free Falling Bodies in Vacuum: Acceleration or Velocity?

In summary: They are not as smart as humans.In summary, the conversation is about a question from a practice set regarding the acceleration and velocity of a pingpong ball and a golf ball dropped in a vacuum chamber. The answer key contradicts the person's answer of acceleration and they are seeking clarification from others. The conversation also touches on the limitations of machine-mediated tests.
Max Leo
Warning: The Posting Template must be used when startng a thread in the Homework areas
Here is an unsettling question from a practice set that I've been working on today. Unsettling because the answer key contradicts my answer so I need a second thought.

A pingpong ball and a golf ball are dropped in a vacuum chamber from the same height and at the same time. When they have fallen halfway, they have the same

A. Potential energy
B. Kinetic energy
C. Acceleration
D. Velocity

My answer is C. Acceleration since this is what I've learned from college physics. But the answer key says it is D. Velocity. So I'm quite confused.

Help me guys. Thank you in advance! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Max Leo said:
Here is an unsettling question from a practice set that I've been working on today. Unsettling because the answer key contradicts my answer so I need a second thought.

A pingpong ball and a golf ball are dropped in a vacuum chamber from the same height and at the same time. When they have fallen halfway, they have the same

A. Potential energy
B. Kinetic energy
C. Acceleration
D. Velocity

My answer is C. Acceleration since this is what I've learned from college physics. But the answer key says it is D. Velocity. So I'm quite confused.

Help me guys. Thank you in advance! :)
I think there are two answers of this question.

Both the accelerations and the velocities are the same.

ehild

Do not believe something just because you are told it - is there a good reason from the laws of physics to believe that C is correct?
What are your reasons from physics for rejecting each one of the other answers?
As you go through the reasons, the correct answer should occur to you.

Likes Satvik Pandey
Thanks guys! They have the same acceleration so the change in magnitude of velocity must be the same at any given time. It's just this is a question from an admission test and I find it unsettling that the machine will mark one correct and the other wrong...

Yes, that is a common flaw in machine mediated tests.

Related to Confused about Free Falling Bodies in Vacuum: Acceleration or Velocity?

What is a free falling body in vacuum?

A free falling body in vacuum is an object that is falling under the influence of gravity in a completely empty space, with no air resistance or other external forces acting upon it.

What is the acceleration of a free falling body in vacuum?

The acceleration of a free falling body in vacuum is always equal to the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared.

How does mass affect the motion of a free falling body in vacuum?

The mass of a free falling body in vacuum does not affect its acceleration. All objects, regardless of mass, will experience the same acceleration due to gravity.

What is the terminal velocity of a free falling body in vacuum?

In a vacuum, there is no air resistance to slow down a falling object. Therefore, a free falling body in vacuum does not have a terminal velocity and will continue to accelerate until it reaches the ground or is acted upon by another force.

How is the time of free fall calculated for a free falling body in vacuum?

The time of free fall for a free falling body in vacuum can be calculated using the equation t = √(2h/g), where t is the time in seconds, h is the height in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.