Confused: Net Torque vs Net Force

In summary, Net Force refers to linear motion, while Net Torque refers to rotational motion. It is possible to have a system where the net force is zero, but the net torque is not zero. It is also possible to have a system where both Net Force & Net Torque are not zero. Lastly, it is possible to have a system where the net force is not equal to the net torque.
aehardin
I'm taking a mechanics course & I'm confused regarding the difference of Net Force & Net Torque. Net Force refers to linear motion & Net Torque refers to rotational motion, correct?
  • So, is it possible to have a system where the net force is zero, but the net torque is not zero? For example, force being applied wrench trying to move a bolt.
  • And vice versa, is it possible to have a system where the net torque is zero, but the net force is not zero? Like, if a square box was being pushed along the ground.
  • And is it possible to have a system where both Net Force & Net Torque are not zero? For example, a car in a head on collision, where its tires are still rotating forward, but it's skidding backwards from the collision.
I'm not sure if I'm thinking of these concepts in the proper way. Any help, corrections to my thoughts, suggestions, or links to info would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
aehardin said:
I'm taking a mechanics course & I'm confused regarding the difference of Net Force & Net Torque. Net Force refers to linear motion & Net Torque refers to rotational motion, correct?
Sounds good.
  • So, is it possible to have a system where the net force is zero, but the net torque is not zero? For example, force being applied wrench trying to move a bolt.
Absolutely. One way is to apply two forces, equal and opposite but not acting on the same line. (These two forces form what is called a couple.) Imagine yourself pushing one side of an object while pulling the other (like turning a steering wheel with both hands); the net force is zero but it will rotate (assuming no other forces act to prevent it).

The problem with your example (force being applied to a wrench trying to move a bolt) is that if the bolt isn't turning, then the net torque (about its center) must be zero. Which just means that the wrench is not the only torque being exerted on the bolt.
  • And vice versa, is it possible to have a system where the net torque is zero, but the net force is not zero? Like, if a square box was being pushed along the ground.
Since torque is always about some point, if there's a net force on an object you can always find some point about which there will be a torque. But you can certainly have a net force on an object that gives no torque about its center of mass. If you push that box with a force whose line of action goes through the center of mass, then you can exert a net force with no torque about the center of mass.

Another simple example is an object in free fall (ignoring air resistance): The net force (its weight) acts through its center of mass and thus exerts no torque about its center of mass.
  • And is it possible to have a system where both Net Force & Net Torque are not zero? For example, a car in a head on collision, where its tires are still rotating forward, but it's skidding backwards from the collision.
Sure. But no need for such an involved example: Anytime you step on the gas and accelerate, there's a net force and a net torque on the tires. Or just roll a tire down a hill.

Going back to your sliding box: Imagine your box sliding on a frictionless floor. Exert any horizontal force you like on it, but just make sure it doesn't pass through the center of mass: you'll have a net force that will also exert a torque about the center of mass.

Last edited:
Likes crushedcorn
aehardin:
Doc Al has answered your main questions, but I'd like to say it's great you do your best in trying to understand the new concepts by looking at the various special cases. This is the way to go!

Keep up the good work, I'm sure you'll master these issues, and more, fairly quickly.

1. What is the difference between net torque and net force?

Net torque is the rotational equivalent of net force and is a measure of the twisting or turning force on an object. Net force, on the other hand, is a measure of the overall force acting on an object, taking into account both magnitude and direction.

2. How are net torque and net force related?

Net torque and net force are related through the concept of leverage. Net torque is the product of force and the distance from the point of rotation, while net force is the product of mass and acceleration. This means that the magnitude of net force and net torque can affect each other, as a larger or smaller force or distance can lead to a different amount of torque.

3. Can an object have both net torque and net force acting on it?

Yes, an object can have both net torque and net force acting on it at the same time. This is often the case in rotational motion, where an object may experience a net torque from a force acting at a distance, as well as a net force that causes linear acceleration.

4. How is net torque calculated?

Net torque is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force acting on an object by the distance from the point of rotation. This is often represented by the equation T = F x d, where T is the net torque, F is the force, and d is the distance from the point of rotation.

5. What are some real-life examples of net torque and net force?

Net torque and net force can be observed in many everyday situations. For example, when opening a door, the person's hand applies a force at a distance from the hinge, creating a net torque that causes the door to rotate. In terms of net force, a car accelerating or braking experiences a net force that causes it to increase or decrease its speed.