1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused on a first order seperable diff EQ! wee!

1. Mar 10, 2006 #1
    Hello everyone. I'm going back to all my old webworks and trying to finish them and i'm still having problems on first order. It says this is seperable but i'm not seeing it.
    Here are the directions:
    The differential equation
    [​IMG]
    has an implicit general solution of the form F(x,y) = K.

In fact, because the differential equation is separable, we can define the solution curve implicitly by a function in the form
    F(x,y) = G(x) + H(y) =K.

Find such a solution and then give the related functions requested.
    F(x,y) = G(x) + H(y) =

Okay well this is what i attempted, and i'm not seeing how this is seperable.
    [​IMG]

the very bottom is the answer the Ti-89 pumped out. But i'd like to know how to do it as well. And the form the Ti-89 put out confuses me, if i want the answer in the form of g(x) + h(y) = K would i solve for C1?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What makes you think that equation is separable?

4. Mar 10, 2006 #3
    urnt, well it says so in the directions:

5. Mar 10, 2006 #4
    I don't know that much about differential equations, so what I'm about to say could be a load of BS, I'm not sure, anyway, can't that equation be written as [itex] \frac{dy}{dx} = (4x+3)(5y+6) [/itex], then can you not simply separate the varibles and then integrate both sides?

Like I said, I don't have any real knowledge of diff equations, but is that what you mean?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2006
  6. Mar 10, 2006 #5
    finchie, u did it hah, it was right!
    [​IMG]
    e-mailing u some cash.

7. Mar 10, 2006 #6
    lol, no worries (That was my first ever attempt at solving a diff equation, before I had seen a few examples, but never actually tried one), I wish my maths teachers offered me money each time I got a question right, lol, oh well, I can always dream...

8. Mar 11, 2006 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well done. That is why it is a separable equation!

9. Mar 11, 2006 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, it isn't. That isn't even an equation.

10. Mar 12, 2006 #9
    my bad.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?