Single-integral solution to 2nd order inhomogeneous ODE

In summary, the conversation focuses on finding a solution to the equation f''(x) = g(x) of the form f(x) = 2∫0xdx'(x-x')g(x'). Different approaches and methods are discussed, including using an integrating factor and changing the order of integration. Ultimately, it is discovered that the correct formula for f(x) is ∫0xdx'(x-x')g(x').
blendecho

Homework Statement

I want to show that $$f''(x) = g(x)$$ has a solution of the form $$f(x) = 2\int_0^{x} dx' (x-x') g(x').$$ It's not hard to verify that it is a solution, the question is how to find it. This should be easy and is likely a standard problem but I haven't found the right approach.

The Attempt at a Solution

Direct integration obviously gives an expression with two nested integrals. I've tried using an integrating factor, writing $$f(x) = x h(x),$$ but that also gives me an expression with two nested integrals. The above diff eq becomes
$$
x h''(x) + h'(x) = g(x)
$$
and so
$$
(x h'(x))' = g(x)
$$
which can be integrated directly, giving ##h'(x)##, which must be integrated again to obtain an expression for ##f##:

$$
f(x) = x \int_0^{x} \frac{dx'}{x'} \int_0^{x'} x'' g(x'') dx''.
$$
Using a more general integrating factor, ##f = \phi h## with ##\phi''=0##, does not help. I'm not sure how to obtain an equation for ##f## with just a single integral. Any suggestions appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you are looking for is a derivation of the Green’s function of ##d^2/dx^2##.

Also, if you have checked that the expression is a solution, what stops you from following the differentiation steps in reverse?

Your approach with the integrating factor really does not help at all. You are just managing to put the equation on a form that you then put back on the original form. Integrating factors are useful when you have several terms that you want to rewrite as the derivative of a single term and ##f’’## is already a single term.

blendecho said:

Homework Statement

I want to show that $$f''(x) = g(x)$$ has a solution of the form $$f(x) = 2\int_0^{x} dx' (x-x') g(x').$ It's not hard to verify that it is a solution, the question is how to find it. This should be easy and is likely a standard problem but I haven't found the right approach.

The Attempt at a Solution

Direct integration obviously gives an expression with two nested integrals. I've tried using an integrating factor, writing $$f(x) = x h(x),$$ but that also gives me an expression with two nested integrals

Your formula for ##f(x)## should not have a "2" in it; the correct formula is $$f(x) = \int_0^{x} dx' (x-x') g(x').$$
If you really DO take the second derivative, you will see that this is the case. Furthermore, it can be obtained right away from the nested integral, just by changing the order of integration appropriately.

Likes blendecho
Orodruin: did you mean the Poisson equation? The point of my integrating factor was to reduce the order of the diff eq, of course the LHS was already a total derivative.

Ray: changing the order of integration on the original nested integral (from naively integrating twice) did the trick and makes the generalization to ##f^{(n)}(x)=g(x)## obvious. Yeesh, it's been a long time since mvar. Thanks for pointing out the factor of 2, too.

1. What is a single-integral solution to a 2nd order inhomogeneous ODE?

A single-integral solution to a 2nd order inhomogeneous ODE is a method of solving a second-order differential equation with a non-zero constant term, where the solution can be expressed as a single integral. This method involves using an integrating factor to transform the equation into a simpler form, and then solving for the unknown function using integration techniques.

2. When is a single-integral solution applicable?

A single-integral solution is applicable when the differential equation is linear, has a non-zero constant term, and has known initial conditions. It can also be used for systems of first-order differential equations.

3. How is a single-integral solution different from other methods of solving ODEs?

A single-integral solution is different from other methods such as separation of variables or using a power series because it allows for the solution to be expressed as a single integral, rather than a combination of functions. This can be a more efficient method of solving certain types of differential equations.

4. Can a single-integral solution be used for non-linear ODEs?

No, a single-integral solution is only applicable for linear ODEs. For non-linear ODEs, other methods such as numerical methods or the use of special functions may be necessary to find a solution.

5. What are the advantages of using a single-integral solution?

The main advantage of using a single-integral solution is that it can simplify the solution process for certain types of ODEs. It also allows for the solution to be expressed in a concise and elegant form, making it easier to work with and understand. Additionally, this method can be easily extended to systems of first-order differential equations, providing a versatile tool for solving a variety of problems in science and engineering.