1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused on recieving just one K value for elongation and oscilliation

1. Oct 16, 2011 #1
    Confused on receiving just one K value for elongation and oscillation

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Ok. For lab, I had to place 5 different masses on a spring and calculate its initial and final position. I did this with a small, medium and large spring.

Then after I gathered my values, I made a graph, and fit a trendline through it.

The book says to use the slope and Hooke's law to find the K constant. However, when I use the slope and equation, I get very slightly different K constant values for the different masses on the same string. (like 4.311 for 0.05kg, and 4.317 for 0.06 kg).

How am I suppose to get just one K constant using the slope and equation? The book probably would have told me to average the K values if I was meant to get more than one.

Same scenario applies for the oscillation of the spring.

What should I do? Thanks.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2011 #2
    The spring constant probably did not change. It was an experiment! There is going to be error (your numbers were still pretty close).

4. Oct 17, 2011 #3
    Yes, I see your point.

I am suppose to use the slope to find one k value. I suppose that the trendline is suppose to provide values of the line that all equal the "average k", which I think I need.

However, I do not know how to choose a point on the trendline using excel(not a point used to find the trendline).

I think thats what I need, since I can plug that y-value and x-value into the equation F=k(y-yo), which will give me the one k value I need. I just don't know how to select a point on the trendline.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook