Confused on why i'm missing this 2nd Order Diff EQ with complex roots

In summary, the conversation revolves around solving a differential equation and finding a general solution. The solution involves using Euler's formula and involves some hand-waving to show that a solution with complex numbers is also a solution without them. The person asking for help has submitted their work and is asking for any obvious mistakes.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone. I"m not getting this problem right. <insert sad face here>
Find y as a function of t if
6y'' + 33y = 0,
y(0) = 8, y'(0) = 5 .
y(t) =

hokay, here is my work, it is sloppy sorry. Can you see any obvious mistakes I made? Note: the sqraure root should be encompassing both the 11 and the 2 in 11/2.

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/681/lastscan8wk.jpg I submitted this and it was wrong:>
http://cwcsrv11.cwc.psu.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/90/5f593c3fcc529485c44d6db5c6c1ea1.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For your general solution, that is

[tex]y=Ae^{i\sqrt{\frac{11}{2}}t}+Be^{-i\sqrt{\frac{11}{2}}t}[/tex]

put now instead

[tex]y=c_1\sin {\sqrt{\frac{11}{2}}t}+c_2\cos {\sqrt{\frac{11}{2}}t}[/tex]

that comes from Euler's formula [tex]e^{i\alpha}=\cos\alpha+i\sin\alpha[/tex], substituted into the general solution with the e's, some constant renaming and some trickery to show that if the new solution (with the cos + isin stuff) is a complex solution to the DE, then the same thing without the i is also a solution. But that was mostly hand-waving.

Thanks for the help again benorin, but I submitted:
http://cwcsrv11.cwc.psu.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/32/eb2319e057d3fc3b2523e3d817a55a1.png
Did i mess up finding my constants?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Confused on why i'm missing this 2nd Order Diff EQ with complex roots

1. Why is it important to understand 2nd Order Differential Equations with complex roots?

Understanding 2nd Order Differential Equations with complex roots is important because these equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to model real-world phenomena. By understanding them, we can better analyze and predict the behavior of complex systems.

2. How do complex roots differ from real roots in 2nd Order Differential Equations?

Complex roots differ from real roots in 2nd Order Differential Equations because they involve imaginary numbers. This means that the solutions to these equations will have a real and imaginary component, rather than just a real component like with real roots.

3. What does it mean when a 2nd Order Differential Equation has no real roots?

When a 2nd Order Differential Equation has no real roots, it means that the solutions to the equation will involve complex numbers. This often indicates that the system being modeled is highly dynamic and complex, and cannot be fully understood using just real numbers.

4. How do you solve a 2nd Order Differential Equation with complex roots?

To solve a 2nd Order Differential Equation with complex roots, you can use a variety of techniques such as the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, or Laplace transforms. These methods involve manipulating the equation to isolate the complex roots and then using algebraic techniques to solve for the solution.

5. What are some common applications of 2nd Order Differential Equations with complex roots?

2nd Order Differential Equations with complex roots have many applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. They are commonly used to model oscillating systems, such as electronic circuits and mechanical systems, as well as systems with friction and damping. They are also used in fields like quantum mechanics and electromagnetism to describe the behavior of complex systems.