1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusing Error in Should-Be-Simple Integration Problem

1. Aug 23, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find k such that the area between the function and the x-axis, bounded by x = 1 and x = k, is equal to 100 square units.

2. Relevant equations

y = 4e^(x/5)

3. The attempt at a solution

1. Wrote the problem as the definite integral from 1 to k of 4e^(x/5)dx = 100.

2. Antidifferentiated to obtain 20e^(x/5).

3. Made substitutions into F(b) - F(a) = 100 to obtain 20e^(k/5) - 20e^(1/5) = 100.

4. Solved for k and got k = 5*ln(5) + 1.

5. At that point I thought I had it all figured out, but when I did 20e^((5*ln(5) + 1)/5) - 20e^(1/5) to check I get 97.7122207 as the result. What am I doing wrong here? Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2011 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

Check your math going from step 3 to step 4. You should be getting a slightly different result for k.

4. Aug 23, 2011 #3
    Righto, found out what I was doing wrong: I somehow forgot that logs don't distribute over multiplication. How silly of me.

k = 5*ln(5 + e^(1/5))

Edit: Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook