Confusing Integration Example: Solving Problems with Constant Factors of n

In summary, the author is getting confused about integration problems where a constant factor of n is involved. They explain that you need to find the derivative of the exponent then add it to the terms in du. There is confusion about where the 12 came from and the author suggests that you compare the integrals to see if you have the correct answer. Finally, they provide an answer for a problem that does not involve a constant factor of n.
James2
So, um, I am getting confused on integration problems where you have to do something with "a constant factor of n". Like, this example...

[itex]\int\sqrt{1 + e^{4x^{3}}}e^{4x^{3}}x^{2}dx[/itex]

Then the example says to match it to the formula [itex]\int u^{n}du[/itex]

Okay... so it does that, but then... something I don't quite understand happens. It says that "du = [itex]e^{4x^{3}}(12x^{2})[/itex]" WAIT? WHERE DID THE 12 COME FROM? Then it says that "our integrand contains all of du except for the constant factor of 12" Then it does this...

[itex]\frac{1}{12}\int(1 + e^{4x^{3}})^{1/2} e^{4x^{3}}(12x^{2})dx[/itex]

Then it integrates like normal... but... WHERE DID THE 12 COME FROM? I don't know why, it just isn't obvious where this "constant factor of 12" came from?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the derivative of 4x^3?

So wait, I have to find the derivative of the exponent then add it to the terms in du? Like, there was an x^2 so I add 12x^2 to that and then take the reciprocal of 12 and move it outside the integral?

Seriously, somebody, I feel dumb because I am not getting this like am I supposed to find the derivative of u then add/multiply by the other thing?? UHHHHH...

If you compared the integrals, presumably the example then wants to substitute ##u = \sqrt{1 + e^{4x^3}}##

So what does ##du/dx## equal?

James2 said:
So wait, I have to find the derivative of the exponent then add it to the terms in du? Like, there was an x^2 so I add 12x^2 to that and then take the reciprocal of 12 and move it outside the integral?
No.
What is the derivative of 1+e^(4x^3)??

Um I think this is the derivative..

[itex]\frac{du}{dx} = 12x^{2}e^{4x^{3}}[/itex]

OH OH OH! I'M SUPPOSED TO TAKE THE DERIVATIVE OF U THEN ADD IT TO THE OTHER PART? Right? And when do I have to move a constant factor outside the integral?

Now, I hope you see that 1=1/12*12.

Thus, we recognize that the expression in your original integral, "e^(4x^3)x^2dx"=1/12du"
Agreed?
Furthermore, the square root thing is now to be written as sqrt(u). Agreed?

Yes, I know 1/12(12)=1 and sure, sqrt(u). Oh wait... du means... derivative of u... okay but what happens to the things that aren't part of u?

So, then you have no further problems? :smile:

Well actually one last thing, what happens to stuff that isn't a part of u? Like the x^2 outside of sqrt(u)?

Read your own post 7 again.

Oh wait I don't add it... I replace it? OR DO I ADD IT? Lol I'm confusing myself now.

Okay I figured it out and worked a practice problem, the answers are at the back of the book but... I got:

[itex]-\frac{(cos2x + 1)^{3/2}}{3/2} + C [/itex]

However, the answer to the practices in the back of the book says it is over 3 not 3/2? What happened here, I'm sure it's algebraic but still...

Wait... is it because du = -2sin2x? Then the -2 would be in front and the 2's cancel? Is that right?

How do you expect us to verify your answer without first knowing the initial question?

If your answer is true though, then the question must be this:

[tex]\int 2\sin(2x)\sqrt{\cos(2x)+1}\,dx[/tex]

which is easily integrable (what is the derivative of [itex]\cos(2x)+1[/itex]?)

Related to Confusing Integration Example: Solving Problems with Constant Factors of n

What does this example mean?

This example may be confusing because it is likely using scientific terminology or concepts that are unfamiliar to you. It would be helpful to research these terms or ask a scientist for clarification.

Can you explain this example in simpler terms?

Yes, as a scientist, it is my job to communicate complex ideas in an understandable way. I can break down this example into smaller, more manageable pieces and provide more context to help you understand it better.

Why is this example important?

This example may seem confusing, but it is likely demonstrating a key concept or principle in a particular field of science. Understanding this example can help you better understand the larger topic or issue at hand.

What are some real-world applications of this example?

This example may be used to explain or understand a phenomenon or process that occurs in nature or in a laboratory setting. It may also have practical applications in fields such as medicine, engineering, or technology.

Can you provide more examples related to this one?

Yes, as a scientist, I can provide you with multiple examples that are similar to this one, but may have slight variations or different applications. This can help you gain a better understanding of the concept or topic being discussed.