Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusing variable change calculation

1. Feb 5, 2012 #1
    Suppose you start with a system of N particles identified by position vectors [itex]r_1, r_2, \ldots, r_N[/itex] and masses [itex]\mu_1, \mu_2, \ldots, \mu_N[/itex]. Then (quantum mechanically) the kinetic energy operator for this system is given by (assuming [itex]\hbar = 1[/itex])

[tex]
    T = \sum_{i = 1}^N -\frac{\Delta_i}{2\mu_i},
    [/tex]

where [itex]\Delta_i = \Delta_{r_i}[/itex] is the Laplacian in the variable [itex]r_i[/itex]. Now, let's make the change of variables [itex]\eta_i = r_i - r_N[/itex]. According to the book I have, the kinetic energy in the new variables looks like

[tex]
    T' = \sum_{i = 1}^{N-1} -\frac{\Delta_i}{2\mu_i'} + \sum_{i < j} \nabla_i \cdot \nabla_j,
    [/tex]

where [itex]\Delta_i = \Delta_{\eta_i}[/itex], [itex]\nabla_i = \nabla_{\eta_i}[/itex], and

[tex]
    \frac{1}{\mu'_i} = \frac{1}{\mu_i} + \frac{1}{\mu_N}.
    [/tex]

I simply do not see how this is true. It seems that, if one applied the chain rule, one obtains [itex]\Delta_{\eta_i} = \Delta_{r_i}[/itex]; is that not true?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted