1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusion about continuity in metric spaces

1. Apr 26, 2013 #1
    I'm confused about the the definition of a function not being continuous.

Is it correct to say f(x) is not continuous at x in the metric space (X,d) if
    [itex]\exists[/itex]ε>0 such that [itex]\forall[/itex][itex]\delta[/itex] there exists a y in X such that d(x,y)<[itex]\delta[/itex] implies d(f(x),f(y))>ε

Is y dependant on [itex]\delta[/itex]? It seems to me as though it should be.

An example let f:(ℝ,de)→(ℝ,de) be defined as f(x)=x if x≤0 and f(x)=1+x if x>0 and prove that f(x) is not continuous at x=0.

So [itex]\exists[/itex]ε=0.5>0 such that [itex]\forall[/itex][itex]\delta[/itex] there exists a y=[itex]\delta[/itex] in ℝ such that d(x,y)<[itex]\delta[/itex] implies d(f(x),f(yδ))>0.5

Is my understanding and implementation of the defintion correct? To prove the lack of continuity do I have to find a specific y value which is dependant on delta.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, you've got it. Find an ε such that for all δ there is a y value that violates the conditions of continuity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted