Confusion about gravitational potential

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of zero mechanical energy and its relation to motion in a pendulum. The speaker initially expresses confusion about the fact that choosing a different reference point for the potential energy affects the motion of the pendulum. However, it is clarified that the change in potential energy is what is important, not the values themselves. This is compared to the analogy of measuring height using a vertical meterstick. Finally, it is understood that zero mechanical energy does not mean no motion, but rather the sum of kinetic and potential energy is equal to zero.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
I thought I know introductory physics well but now I'm confused about simple things!
Imagine a pendulum. Its released from rest from a height. We take that height to be the zero level of the gravitational potential. But that means its total energy is zero at the beginning and because of the conservation of energy its going to remain zero and so there is no motion. But if we choose another height as the origin, then the energy is non-zero and there is motion. But what happens shouldn't depend on our choices. What am I missing here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Recall that it is only changes-in-potential energy that are physically relevant (not the values themselves).
Today, I made the analogy that the position of your head (as read by a vertical meterstick) is not a physically meaningful measurement of your height. Instead, it is the change-in-position from your feet to your head.

"Zero Mechanical Energy" doesn't mean "no motion" (K=0 and delta-K=0)... it means that K+U=0.
If (delta-E)=0, then (delta-K)= - (delta-U).

Oh...dammit, Of course!

1. What is gravitational potential?

Gravitational potential is a measure of the potential energy of an object in a gravitational field. It is defined as the amount of work that would need to be done to move the object from its current position to infinity, against the force of gravity.

2. How is gravitational potential different from gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential is a property of a point in space, while gravitational potential energy is a property of an object. Gravitational potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit mass at a given point, while gravitational potential energy is the total energy an object has due to its position in a gravitational field.

3. What is the formula for calculating gravitational potential?

The formula for calculating gravitational potential is V = -Gm/r, where V is the gravitational potential, G is the gravitational constant, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance between the object and the point at which the potential is being measured.

4. How does gravitational potential affect the motion of objects?

The gravitational potential at a point determines the direction and magnitude of the force that an object will experience at that point. Objects will tend to move towards points of lower gravitational potential, as this corresponds to a decrease in potential energy.

5. Can gravitational potential be negative?

Yes, gravitational potential can be negative. This indicates that the point has a lower potential energy than a reference point, which is typically taken to be at infinity. The absolute value of the potential is what is important, as it determines the magnitude of the gravitational force experienced by an object at that point.