1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusion about gravitational potential

1. Oct 20, 2014 #1

ShayanJ

Gold Member

I thought I know introductory physics well but now I'm confused about simple things!
    Imagine a pendulum. Its released from rest from a height. We take that height to be the zero level of the gravitational potential. But that means its total energy is zero at the beginning and because of the conservation of energy its going to remain zero and so there is no motion. But if we choose another height as the origin, then the energy is non-zero and there is motion. But what happens shouldn't depend on our choices. What am I missing here?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2014 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Recall that it is only changes-in-potential energy that are physically relevant (not the values themselves).
    Today, I made the analogy that the position of your head (as read by a vertical meterstick) is not a physically meaningful measurement of your height. Instead, it is the change-in-position from your feet to your head.

"Zero Mechanical Energy" doesn't mean "no motion" (K=0 and delta-K=0)... it means that K+U=0.
    If (delta-E)=0, then (delta-K)= - (delta-U).

4. Oct 21, 2014 #3

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Oh...dammit, Of course!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook