Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusion about the nature of magnetic forces.

1. Oct 1, 2009 #1
    Seeing as there is no net force on a magnetic dipole placed in a magnetic field ( only torque ) , and that magnetism in say a bar magnet is caused by nothing more than tiny atomic current loops ( magnetic dipoles) oriented in the same direction , i don't understand how a bar magnet would get attracted to say a refrigerator door, as this would require a net force as opposed to a net torque (Am i right in assuming that the bar magnet or refrigerator magnet magnetizes a certain area of the refrigerator door , and this area then sets up a magnetic field which influences the refrigerator magnet)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2009 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

There is no net force on a magnetic dipole placed in a uniform magnetic field.

4. Oct 1, 2009 #3
    The Stern Gerlach experiment with a beam of neutral silver atoms in a magnetic field (~1923) with a gradient won the Nobel Prize in physics, because there was a force on the atoms..

[Edit] They won the Nobel Prize because there was a quantized force on the neutral atoms.
    Bob S

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  5. Oct 1, 2009 #4
    The dipole potential energy U(r) in a magnetic field is -µB. If there is a space-dependence of B, i.e., B(r), then the -grad(U) is the force that makes work.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  6. Oct 8, 2009 #5
    No, magnetic field was only uniform along on plane. It was in fact placed in a way that magnetic field was in fact non uniform in certain direction. Otherwise gradient of field will be zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook