1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Confusion about work done by friction as negative or positive

1. Dec 27, 2016 #1
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/0GOyZeQMdpLgYxYwwP4FMabe-Mk7QpADPC4ZK4PVpBGKvamcqjopOf3M0evdhE8PHZ3iTQ=s138 m1 is 4 kg and m2 is 8 kg. The kinetic friction coefficient on the table is 0.3. m1 is held in place. When m1 is released, m2 accelerates 1.2 m to the floor. Use conservation of energy/ and or Work KE principle to find the speed of the two blocks at the instant m2 hits the floor.

I used the following equation to solve the problem:

PE = KE1 + KE2 + work(friction) with g = 10 m/s2

8x10x1.2 = 1/2 (4) (v2) + 1/2 (8) (v2) + Nx.3x1.2 and then solved for v.

I got the right answer but I see work done by friction as negative (the force and displacement are in opposite directions). If I use a negative number here, I get the wrong answer. Also, regarding conservation of energy, I see a change in PE as negative energy (decrease in PE), the friction as negative work and the change in KE for m1 and m2 as a gain in energy. Shouldn't the change in PE + work done by friction = change in KE of m1 + change in KE of m2? Why is work done by friction positive in my original equation?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2016 #2
    You've got the sign of Wf wrong. How did you arive at this equation? Because when non conservative forces are present, ΔΕ=W, where W is the work of the non conservative forces. ΔΕ=K1+K2-P0, so P0=K1+K2-Wf.

4. Dec 27, 2016 #3
    Another method giving the same result is this:
    ΔΚ=Wf+Wg
    Wg=-ΔP=P0
    P0=K1+K2-Wf

5. Dec 28, 2016 #4
    Your equation makes sense to me. Plugging in numbers for P0=K1+K2-Wf (using g = 10m/s2):
    96 = 4v2 + 2v2 - 0.03x40x1.2
    96 + 14.4 = 6v2
    v = 4.29 m/s
    If friction is eliminated, then 96 = 4v2 + 2v2 and v = 4 m/s. This is slower than 4.29. Adding friction should slow down the speed. That is why added Wf, which gives me the correct answer. I like your equations, but why is it giving me the wrong answer?

6. Dec 28, 2016 #5
    P0+Wf=K (where K=K1+K2), and since friction does a negative work, if you remove it, K is larger.

7. Dec 29, 2016 #6
    I see it. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted