Confusion on displacement question

In summary, a car moving east at 18 m/s for 5 minutes will have a displacement of 5400 m. However, it is important to note that the displacement should also include a direction, which in this case is to the east. The teacher's answer of 5400 m may be missing this crucial piece of information. It is also important to pay attention to units when solving problems involving displacement.
ArcherofScience

Homework Statement

A car moves east at 18 m/s for 5 minutes. What its displacement? It says that the answer
to this question from my teacher is: 5400 m.

Homework Equations

→ →
X= v *t

The Attempt at a Solution

V= 18 m/s [E]
t= 5 min.

→ → →
X= v *t = x= (18) (5)

X= 90 m/s [E]

am i wrong? or is my teacher's answer wrong? Because my teacher's answer does not include a direction and it seems impossible for that amount to be attained.

Physics news on Phys.org
5 minutes is 300 seconds. Watch units! Displacement has units of length.

oh man, how little was my mistake *facepalm* :frown:.

yeh it turned 5400 m, but I'm putting to the east to make the answer complete.

thanks for your help! :D

1. What is displacement?

Displacement is a measure of the change in position of an object in a particular direction. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is often represented by the symbol "Δx" or "d".

2. How is displacement different from distance?

Displacement is a change in position, while distance is the total length traveled. Distance is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude and no direction. Displacement takes into account the starting and ending positions of an object, while distance does not.

3. What causes confusion on displacement questions?

One common source of confusion is mixing up displacement and distance. Another cause could be not understanding the difference between displacement and velocity, which is the rate of change of displacement.

4. How is displacement calculated?

To calculate displacement, you need to know the initial position and the final position of an object. You can then subtract the initial position from the final position to find the displacement. Mathematically, it is represented as Δx = xf - xi, where Δx is the displacement, xf is the final position, and xi is the initial position.

5. Can displacement be negative?

Yes, displacement can be negative. This indicates that the object has moved in the opposite direction of the chosen reference point. For example, if the reference point is chosen to be the starting position, a negative displacement means the object has moved backwards from its starting position.