1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusion regarding use of differentiation and unit vectors

1. Oct 20, 2013 #1
    Hey, everyone. I am going to post a question—but it's not the question I need help with. It's something deeper (and way more troubling).

Consider a particle of mass m subject to an isotropic two-dimensional harmonic central force F= −k[itex]\vec{r}[/itex], where k is a positive constant. At t=0, we throw the particle from position [itex]\vec{r}_0[/itex] = A[itex]\hat{x}[/itex] with velocity [itex]\vec{v}_0[/itex] = V[itex]\hat{y}[/itex]. Show that the trajectory of the particle is, in general, an ellipse.

So my plan is just to solve the equation for Newton's 2nd law of motion, get a 2nd order differential equation, etc. The confusion comes in when I ask myself "When do I need to make use of the chain rule?"

It seems easy enough to me to just take the equation [itex]k\vec{r} + m\ddot{\vec{r}} = 0[/itex] at face value but (and this may seem like a silly question)...

... isn't [itex]\vec{r} = r\hat{r}[/itex]?
    So [itex]\dot{\vec{r}} = \dot{r}\hat{r} + r\dot{\hat{r}}[/itex]?

... and then I use the chain rule again to get the second derivative: [itex]\hat{r}\ddot{r} + \dot{r}\dot{\hat{r}} + \dot{r}\dot{\hat{r}} + \ddot{\hat{r}}r[/itex]

I'm sure I'm over-complicating things, but this is the type of confusion I always end up wasting tons of my time on, and I have a real hard time finding an answer in textbooks or Wikipedia.

The only way I can consolidate the two methods is by thinking: The force isn't dependent on θ, so the 1st and 2nd derivatives of θ are zero. Since the 1st and 2nd derivatives of [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] depend on the derivatives on theta, those are also zero—and that ugly combination above simplifies to [itex]\ddot{r}\hat{r}[/itex].

Is this correct? It sounds fine to me, but questions like this (can I do this? Or should I approach it, mathematically, like this? etc.) take up so much of my time that I end up spending multiple hours on problems I realistically should spend only a couple of minutes on.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook