London 2012: Congrats to the Olympic Host City!

• Thread starter Clausius2
  • Start date
In summary, London was chosen as the host city for the 2012 Olympics, despite Paris's earlier bid. France has a history of winning the selection for the Olympic games, but London is the third city to lose out to Paris.
Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Congrats to London 2012!

Although I sincerely think London was a worse candidature than Madrid 2012, I am happy that London will host the Olympic Games rather than Paris. Here we are too tired that France always wins in this kind of elections, as in the last one they won us about hosting the ITER. It is the third time Paris has been defeated when pursuing the Olympic games, hahaha!.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, Congratulations ! :smile:

i really thought Paris was going to win..

i preferred Paris though...it is a much lesser distance for me to travel, only 1.5 hours by TGV...but congrats to London

marlon

Poor old Londinium, i am sure it will cope, anyone for a picknick on the M25?

I just want to see the US men's basketball team :D.

Clausius2 said:
Although I sincerely think London was a worse candidature than Madrid 2012, I am happy that London will host the Olimpyc Games rather than Paris!
Hah, I am glad too.. just because of the arrogant waiter in paris :tongue:

Yay! Congratulations!

Congratulations!

Put that in your pipe and smoke it Mr. Chirac!

I wasnt really concerned to good old jacque opened his mouth since then i really wanted us to win it.

I think london deserved to win, purely because it has been many years since great britain has hosted the tournemant.

jcsd said:
Put that in your pipe and smoke it Mr. Chirac!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Put what in his pipe ?

marlon

Congratulations from the skies of London...!

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/5313/planemeteor11ar.png

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/6817/london6am.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Skank that, Chirac!

That'll learn you not to mess with chish and fips.

hmm.. we could conquer Britland by 2011, establish the new New York and even use same old NYC 2012 banners.. I'll have to write to my local US President about this someday :biggrin:

I wanted moscow to win :frown:

Aren't they building a new stadium and all for it?

1. What is the significance of London hosting the 2012 Olympics?

London hosting the 2012 Olympics is significant because it marks the third time the city has been chosen to host the Games, following the 1908 and 1948 Olympics. It also makes London the first city to host the modern Olympics three times. Additionally, the Olympics bring significant economic benefits to the host city, such as job creation and tourism.

2. How were the venues for the 2012 Olympics chosen?

The venues for the 2012 Olympics were chosen through a bidding process that began in 2003. Cities from around the world submitted bids to the International Olympic Committee, and London was ultimately chosen as the host city after a final vote in 2005. The selection process takes into account factors such as existing infrastructure, proposed venues, and the city's ability to host a successful Games.

3. What new facilities were built for the 2012 Olympics in London?

The 2012 Olympics in London saw the construction of several new facilities, including the Olympic Stadium, the Aquatics Centre, and the Velodrome. These venues were designed specifically for the Games and were intended to leave a lasting legacy for the city after the Olympics were over. Other existing facilities were also renovated and upgraded for the Games.

4. How were the Olympic athletes and officials housed during the 2012 Games?

The Olympic athletes and officials were housed in the Olympic Village, which was built specifically for the Games. The Village consisted of 2,818 apartments and housed over 16,000 athletes and officials. The Village also had dining halls, recreation areas, and medical facilities to accommodate the needs of the athletes.

5. How did London prepare for the 2012 Olympics?

London underwent significant preparations for the 2012 Olympics, including upgrading transportation infrastructure, building new venues, and improving security measures. The city also launched a cultural program called the London 2012 Festival, which featured events and performances celebrating arts and culture. The preparations for the Olympics were a major undertaking and involved the collaboration of various government agencies and private organizations.