Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conic sections: Can focal points be outside the ellipse?

1. Sep 26, 2012 #1
    Can an ellipse's focal points be outside the ellipse? I have tried googling this, but without any good explanations or answers.

According to my calculations, the focal points of the ellipse defined by [itex] x^{2} + \frac{y^{2}}{4} = 1 [/itex] are [itex] (-\sqrt{3},0) (\sqrt{3},0)) [/itex].

I maybe wrong of course, but does this mean that the focal points of an ellipse can indeed be outside the ellipse?

BiP

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2012 #2

lavinia

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The focal points of an ellipse are always interior. In a plane, an ellipse is the set of points that are equidistant to two points.

4. Sep 27, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that's wrong. If an ellipse is given by
    [tex]\frac{x^2}{a^2}+ \frac{y^2}{b^2}= 1[/tex]
    with b> a, then the foci are at (0, c) and (0, -c) with [itex]c^2= a^2- b^2[/itex]
    so the foci of this ellipse are on the y-axis, not the x-axis.

5. Sep 27, 2012 #4

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In the limit as the eccentricity goes to zero, an ellipse becomes a circle; both focal points converge to the center. In the limit as the eccentricity goes to infinity, an ellipse becomes a line segment, where the focal points are at the endpoints. In between, the focal points are always inside the ellipse.

6. Oct 11, 2012 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The eccentricity of an ellipse is always between 0 and 1 so it cannot "go to infinity". As the distance between foci goes to infinity, the eccentricity goes to 1.

Eccentricity 1 gives a parabola, eccentricity greater than 1 is a hyperbola.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook