Conical Pendulum force problem

In summary, a conical pendulum with a 78.0 kg bob on a 10.0 m wire making an angle of θ = 5.00° with the vertical has a horizontal component of 66.37 N and a vertical component of 761.49 N. The radial acceleration of the bob is 0.851 m/s^2. The tension force on the pendulum is 762 N. To find the horizontal component of the tension force, one must multiply the tension force by the sine of the angle (5.00°).
pcandrepair

Homework Statement

Consider a conical pendulum with a 78.0 kg bob on a 10.0 m wire making an angle of θ = 5.00° with the vertical. (Consider positive i to be towards the center of the circular path.)

(a) Determine the horizontal and vertical components of the force exerted by the wire on the pendulum.
________N i + _________N j

(b) What is the radial acceleration of the bob?
________m/s^2

Homework Equations

a = v^2 / R

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the vertical component of the force:
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fy = Tcos(5) - 78(9.8)

T = 78(9.8)/Cos(5)

T = 761.491 N

To find the horizontal component wouldn't you need to find the acceleration(part b) first?

I used the following to find the velocity:

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F(radial) = -Tsin(5) = -m(v^2 / R)

v^2 = R*Tsin(5) / m

using trig and the given 10m wire length i found the radius to be .871557m

v^2 = .871557(761.491)(sin(5)) / 78

v = 7.60551 m/s

Then i plugged that into the acceleration equation given in the relevant equations section but it was 66.3683 m/s^2 which does not sound reasonable for this problem.

Any suggestions on what i did wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Going back to v^2 = R*Tsin(5) / m

to find angular acceleration, one simply takes v2/r = T sin(5)/m

or 762 N * (0.08716) / 78 kg = __________

Ok, I found the acceleration to be .851m/s^2. Now, to find the horizontal component of the force i would set that acceleration equal to T*Sin(5)?

Tsin(5) = a
T = .851 / sin(5)
T = 9.764 N ?

The tension was correctly calculated.

With a = v2/r = T sin(5)/m

one obtains 762 N * (0.08716) / 78 kg = 66.42 N/ 78 kg = 0.85 m/s2

I think in the OP, one simply forgot to divide by 78.

I entered 9.764 N for the horizontal component of the tension force and it said it was incorrect.

Tsin(5) = a
is not correct. T is a force, a is an acceleration. There has to be a mass associated with a.

Let T = 762 N and the horizontal force is T sin(5).

pcandrepair said:
I entered 9.764 N for the horizontal component of the tension force and it said it was incorrect.
You calculated the tension correctly in your first post. Just find the horizontal component of that, since you have the angle.

You don't need to use the centripetal acceleration formula for this problem.

so, the horizontal component of 761.491 N would be sin(5)*761.491 which equals 66.3683 N

pcandrepair said:
so, the horizontal component of 761.491 N would be sin(5)*761.491 which equals 66.3683 N
Yes.

Alright, I get it now. Thanks for your help Astronuc and Doc Al!

1. What is a conical pendulum force problem?

A conical pendulum force problem refers to a physics problem that involves calculating the forces acting on a pendulum that is moving in a circular path. The pendulum is suspended from a fixed point and swings in a cone-like motion, making it a more complex problem than a simple pendulum.

2. What are the forces involved in a conical pendulum?

The forces involved in a conical pendulum are tension, gravity, and centripetal force. Tension is the force acting on the string or rod that holds the pendulum, gravity is the downward force pulling the pendulum towards the center of the Earth, and centripetal force is the force that keeps the pendulum moving in a circular path.

3. How do you calculate the tension in a conical pendulum?

To calculate the tension in a conical pendulum, you can use the equation T = (mv^2)/r, where T is tension, m is the mass of the pendulum, v is the velocity of the pendulum, and r is the radius of the circular path. This equation is derived from the centripetal force formula, F = mv^2/r, where F is the centripetal force and is equal to the tension in this case.

4. What factors can affect the motion of a conical pendulum?

The motion of a conical pendulum can be affected by factors such as the length of the string or rod, the mass of the pendulum, and the angle at which the pendulum is released. These factors can affect the tension and centripetal force, which in turn affects the speed and direction of the pendulum's motion.

5. How is a conical pendulum different from a simple pendulum?

A conical pendulum differs from a simple pendulum in several ways. The motion of a simple pendulum is in a straight line, while the motion of a conical pendulum is in a circular path. Additionally, a simple pendulum is affected by gravity and tension, while a conical pendulum also involves the centripetal force. Finally, the equations used to calculate the motion of a simple pendulum are different from those used for a conical pendulum.