Conjugacy class with two elements in G implies that G is not simple

In summary, I proved that G cannot be a simple group if it contains two elements, and provided a hint for a subgroup of index 2 which is normal.

Homework Statement

If some conjugacy class of an element in a group G contains precisely two elements, show that G cannot be a simple group.

The Attempt at a Solution

This question was longer, with two questions before this one which I could answer and which probably lead to the answer on this question.

I showed that for an element x in G the elements of G which commute with x, form a subgroup C(x) of G, called the centralizer. I also proved that the size of the conjugacy class of x is equal to the number of left cosets of C(x) in G. But now for the last question, I need a hint.

Physics news on Phys.org
What can you say about a subgroup of index 2?

rochfor1 said:
What can you say about a subgroup of index 2?
A subgroup H<G of index two is normal, since if you take x in G, H and xH partition G and H and Hx partition G, which gives Hx=xH, and H is normal. If I have a normal subgroup of index 2, that means that the order of this subgroup is half of the order of G, which cannot be {e} or G, unless G={e}. This is not the case, since a conjugacy class of G contains two distinct elements. Therefore H is a normal subgroup which is not {e} or all of G, hence G is not simple.

Is this correct? Thanks for helping me out in your free time!

But how do you know you have a subgroup of index two? Otherwise you are correct.

rochfor1 said:
But how do you know you have a subgroup of index two? Otherwise you are correct.
Because I proved earlier that the index of the centralizer C(x) is the same as the order of the conjugacy class of x, and C(x) is a subgroup.
Thanks thanks :)

Exactly, I figured you knew why, you just hadn't explicitly stated it. Don't thank me too much; I just gave a nudge in the right direction.

1. What does it mean for a group to be simple?

A simple group is a group that has no proper nontrivial normal subgroups. In other words, there are no nontrivial subgroups that are invariant under conjugation by any element of the group.

2. How is a conjugacy class defined?

A conjugacy class is a subset of a group that contains all elements that are conjugate to each other. Two elements a and b are conjugate if there exists an element g in the group such that g^-1ag = b.

3. How does having a conjugacy class with two elements imply that a group is not simple?

If a group has a conjugacy class with two elements, then this means that there are at least two distinct elements that are conjugate to each other. Therefore, there exists a nontrivial subgroup that is invariant under conjugation by these elements, making the group not simple.

4. Can a group have more than one conjugacy class with two elements?

Yes, a group can have multiple conjugacy classes with two elements. In fact, this is a common occurrence in non-simple groups. As long as there are at least two distinct elements that are conjugate, there will be multiple conjugacy classes with two elements.

5. Are there any other implications of a conjugacy class with two elements in a group?

Yes, in addition to implying that the group is not simple, a conjugacy class with two elements can also provide information about the structure of the group. For example, if the group has both a conjugacy class with two elements and a conjugacy class with three elements, this indicates that the group is not abelian.