Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conjugate gradient for nonsymmetric problem

1. Jul 1, 2011 #1
    Hi, I was wondering if it is possible to adapt the conjugate gradient method (or if there's a variation of the method) for nonsymmetrical boundary value problems.

For example, I want to solve something like a 2D square grid, where [itex]f(x)=0[/itex] for all [itex]x[/itex] on the boundary of the square, [itex]f(x_{i0,j0})=1[/itex] and [itex]f(x_{i1, j1})[/itex] for specified interior points, and

[tex]f(x_{i,j})=.1f(x_{i-1,j})+.2f(x_{i+1,j})+.3f(x_{i,j-1})+.4f(x_{i,j+1})[/tex]

for all other interior grid points [itex]x_{i,j}[/itex]. If I change [itex]f_{i,j}[/itex] to a 1D vector [itex]y_{k}[/itex], and then write the system of eqs out, the matrix [itex]A[/itex] in the system I want to solve ([itex]Ay=b[/itex]) is not symmetric.

From what I've read, the conjugate gradient method only works for symmetric [itex]A[/itex], so I was wondering if there is some way to adapt the method, or a different way of setting up the system. If not, what would be the fastest way to solve this problem? (The only reason I'm interested in conjugate gradient is b/c I heard it's fast.) I'm currently using successive over-relaxation (SOR). Is there anything faster?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2011 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Google for "biconjugate gradient algorithm".

There are some traps here, because biconjugate gradient can be unstable. A practical stabilized version is the BiCGSTAB algorithm (also in Google!)

4. Jul 4, 2011 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Another way the conjugate gradient method could be used is to solve
    [tex]A^T A y = A^T b[/tex]​

5. Jul 5, 2011 #4

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

True, provided it doesn't matter that the condition number of [itex]A^T A[/itex] is the square of the condition number of [itex]A[/itex], which may decrease the numerical precision.

The biconjugate gradient method also involves multiplyng vectors by [itex]A^T[/itex], but it doesn't degrade the condition number.

6. Jun 11, 2012 #5
    Anybody has Conjugate Gradient code snippet in C or C#?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook