Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Connected a RS-232 to RS-485 converter to the RS232 port

1. May 6, 2009 #1
    hi, i have connected a RS-232 to RS-485 converter to the RS232 port, and i would like to know if any1 could tell me how to send a byte or signal to it using hyper terminal.. thx~

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Re: help~

Welcome to the PF. Hopefully you won't be stranded here!

Have you used HyperTerminal before? It is fairly straightforward to use, but there are some configuration options that can sometimes get tricky.

I went to wikipedia.org to see if they had a good intro to HyperTerminal, but their article is only semi-related. Luckily, a link at the bottom of that article has a good tutorial intro:

http://www.dnatechindia.com/index.php/Tutorials/8051-Tutorial/HYPERTERMINAL.html

That should get you going with HyperTerminal. Be sure to specify the correct COM1 or COM2 port (depends on if your PC has more than one DB-9 connector). You can use an oscilloscope to watch the signals, and verify activity. Keep in mind that RS-232 signals are +/-12V, and RS-485 signals are 0V-5V.

Let us know if you are up and running now...

4. May 7, 2009 #3

hmm i do not understand how to send a byte to the converter... in terms of byte do i just type 1 and press enter? and how am i supposed to know if the converter has recieved the byte/signal? sorry for the trouble..thx

5. May 7, 2009 #4

berkeman

Yep. After readimg the setup info in the link, just type anything and hit Enter. Look for the ASCII representation of the typed character to come out in serial fashion...

6. May 7, 2009 #5

berkeman

I guess I should ask, what are you trying to do?

7. May 7, 2009 #6

erm I'm trying to use hyper terminal to send signals through to the RS-232 to RS-485 converter... or am i doing it wrong? Do I need to connect the converter to the RS485 to have a reply?

8. May 7, 2009 #7

any1 know about MOXA's TCC-80 port powerd RS-232 to RS-485 converter???
    I'm supposed to send a signal to it using hyper terminal.. any1 could teach me how?? thx in advance

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook