Is There a Solution for High-Speed Data Transfer Using RS-232 Serial Port?

• Thread starter desmal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Serial
In summary, the conversation discusses issues with using RS-232 connection to send data from Matlab to an FPGA. The speaker mentions that changing the bit rate causes incorrect data to be shown, and suggests manually changing settings in the Control Panel. They also advise double checking the protocol and bit order. The conversation then moves on to finding alternative methods for loading large amounts of data onto the FPGA board.
desmal
Hi

I am using RS-232 connection to may FPGA, and I want to send information from matlap. Whan I set may VHDL program to the defult seting of the RS-232 which have 9600 bit/sec, then may FPGA show the data correctly. but whan I change the VHDL program and the matlap seting to anthor bit/rate,the data is shown wrong. what is interesting is that the old VHDL program with 9600 bit/sec still work which mean the computer still send at the old bit rate.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds like Matlab's changing of the serial port settings is not taking effect. You could manually change the settings in the Control Panel for the PC, perhaps.

How do you know that it is still working? The bit rate might be correct but maybe you change the protocol without knowing it ... Double check that you still use the old protocol, and make sure the bits are in the correct order.

Hi again
I discover that not all of the data rate for RS-232 are providen by may PC. but still I have problem. The data that I want to load on may FPGA board is very larg and RS-232 have very low bit rates. May bord is spartan-3 digilent (X3S1000)
Do you have any other way to load these data from PC.

Related to Is There a Solution for High-Speed Data Transfer Using RS-232 Serial Port?

1. What is RS-232 serial port?

RS-232 serial port is a standard communication interface used for serial communication between devices. It is commonly used for connecting computers and peripherals such as modems, printers, and scanners.

2. What are the common problems associated with RS-232 serial port?

The most common problems associated with RS-232 serial port are connection issues, data transfer errors, and compatibility issues between devices. These problems can be caused by faulty hardware, incorrect settings, or outdated drivers.

3. How do I troubleshoot RS-232 serial port problems?

To troubleshoot RS-232 serial port problems, you can check the physical connection of the port, make sure the correct settings are configured, and update the drivers if necessary. You can also use diagnostic tools to test the port and check for any hardware issues.

4. Why is my RS-232 serial port not working?

There are several reasons why an RS-232 serial port may not be working. It could be due to a faulty cable or adapter, incorrect settings, driver issues, or a malfunctioning port. It is important to troubleshoot the problem to determine the exact cause and find a solution.

5. Can I use a USB to RS-232 adapter for my serial port?

Yes, you can use a USB to RS-232 adapter to connect devices that use serial communication. However, it is important to make sure the adapter is compatible with your devices and that the correct drivers are installed for it to work properly.