Connecting HP 4140B pA Meter for VI Curve Measurement

  • Thread starter Thread starter seang
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Meter
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 3K views
seang
Messages
184
Reaction score
0
Hi, I'm trying to make connections with a pA meter / V source. It is a HP 4140B. Let's just say I'm going to try to find the VI curve for a resistor.

The voltage source is coax out. I think I know what connections to make here but could someone help me anyway?

The current in is via triax. I've never worked with one of these. What connections do I make?

Thanks for your help!
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
f95toli said:
pA=picoamp, 10^-12 A

Oooohhhh. Thanks.

But why in the world use a picoAmmeter for making a VI trace of a resistor? Sounds like a square peg headed for a round hole... ?
 
berkeman said:
Oooohhhh. Thanks.

But why in the world use a picoAmmeter for making a VI trace of a resistor? Sounds like a square peg headed for a round hole... ?

Hes probably measuring a high impedance component.
 
berkeman said:
Oooohhhh. Thanks.

But why in the world use a picoAmmeter for making a VI trace of a resistor? Sounds like a square peg headed for a round hole... ?

Ha, not actually going to perform that experiment. Just needed an example. In reality I will be measuring VI curves of some films, CNT samples, etc.

btw, if you google HP 4140b, the first link is the manual. There are some figures in there that I suspect are useful, but I can't quite make sense of them.

Thanks for your replies
 
on page 3-42, the setup shows the triax connected to GND, LOW, and HIGH (I think). If I'm measuring a two terminal device, what do these mean?
 
seang said:
on page 3-42, the setup shows the triax connected to GND, LOW, and HIGH (I think). If I'm measuring a two terminal device, what do these mean?

Interesting. It looks like they are guarding the high line with the "low" shield to try to have as little voltage difference between the high line and the surrounding shield, to minimize leakage currents. If they just had coax, then there would be the full voltage drop from high to ground between the two conductors, so that full voltage drop will drive a larger leakage current.

This technique is often called "bootstrapping", and is usually done to reduce the effective capacitance between a sensitive line and its surrounding shield. The shield is driven with an opamp buffered version of the inner conductor voltage, so the shield is always at about the same voltage. That way, there is no effective capacitive loading between the inner conductor and the shield -- the opamp is taking care of "bootstrapping" out the effective capacitance.

So make your connections to your 2-lead device as shown on page 3-43, depending on whether you DUT is grounded or floating. Does that make more sense now?
 
Yeah, I think I get it. Sometimes you just have to talk it out I guess.

Thanks a lot for your help.