Is a Ring Crimp Terminal the Best Connection Tip for TCK Type K?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a TCK type K thermocouple with a brass component that has a working temperature of 200degC. The individual plans to drill and tap a hole in the brass and use a bolt to fix the thermocouple. They also consider using a ring crimp terminal as the connection tip, specifically brass rings. They seek input on whether this would be a suitable choice for the thermocouple connection. The response suggests that this method has been used successfully by Omega and provides a link for reference.
AligatorAmy
Hi,

I need to connect my TCK type K to the brass component which has working temperature approximately 200degC.
I intend to drill/tap a hole in the brass (M3) and fix TCK to it with a bolt.

I wonder whether using ring crimp terminal as the tip for the termocouple would be a good option.
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/connectors/terminals-splices/crimp-ring-terminals/
If yes, I think it would be good to use brass made rings.

What do you think? Is the ring crimp terminal a right choice as the connection tip for TCK type K?

Please help.
Thank you.
Regards

Engineering news on Phys.org
That should work just fine. Omega does just that with some of their assemblies. See their http://www.omega.com/pptst/WT.html.

WT_l.jpg

Likes berkeman and jim hardy
Thank you dlgoff.

1. How do I connect a type K thermocouple to my system?

To connect a type K thermocouple, you will need a connector or adapter that is compatible with your system. The most common types are mini or standard connectors, which can easily be connected to the thermocouple wires. Make sure to match the positive and negative terminals to the correct pins on your system.

2. Can I use any type K thermocouple with this connection tip?

Yes, as long as the thermocouple is a type K, it can be used with this connection tip. However, make sure to check the temperature range and accuracy of the thermocouple to ensure it is suitable for your specific application.

3. How do I know if my connection is secure?

You can check the connection by gently pulling on the thermocouple wire and ensuring it does not disconnect from the connection tip. You can also use a multimeter to test the resistance between the thermocouple wires and ensure it is within the expected range.

4. Can I use this connection tip for high-temperature applications?

Yes, this connection tip is suitable for high-temperature applications as it is designed to withstand the extreme temperatures that type K thermocouples can measure.

5. Is there a specific orientation I need to follow when connecting the thermocouple to the connection tip?

Yes, the positive and negative terminals on the thermocouple need to be connected to the corresponding pins on the connection tip. This is important for accurate temperature readings and to avoid damaging the thermocouple or your system.