Consent of the Governed : Now a Commodity

• Thread starter coberst
  • Start date
In summary, Al Gore argues in his book "The Assault on Reason" that Americans now watch television an average of 4 hours and 35 minutes every day, and that this is a bad thing because it is causing people to be less intelligent. He suggests that adults should spend one hour a day studying books instead.
coberst
"Consent of the Governed": Now a Commodity

“Consent of the Governed”: Now a Commodity

Commodity—an article of commerce

“According to an authoritative global study, Americans now watch television an average of 4 hours and 35 minutes every day”—An excerpt from Al Gore’s book “The Assault On Reason” contained in May 28 issue of TIME.

We have traded our democratic inheritance for a few hours of vapid TV distraction.

I am convinced that we have one avenue out of this terrible predicament into which we have fallen; we American adults must significantly improve our level of intellectual sophistication.

This can easily be done in a most delightful way; we adults can take one hour a day that we now spend on a couch before a TV screen and utilize that time studying the books that will enlighten us as to who we are and why we do the things we do.

Self-actualizing self-learning is a simple and powerful solution to a most dangerous and pressing situation. We have nothing to lose but our apathy and ignorance; and we have everything to gain, including our self-respect and the respect of generations to come.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds good. I don't watch TV, and look at how super I am. :cool:

Actually, I have learned lots from TV in the past. It depends on what you watch. Is there good government programming on? I think everyone should see the House-Senate messages bowing tradition at least once in their life, but CSPAN can be rather dull sometimes, even if you're terribly interested in that stuff to begin with. Plus, it seems to me that a lot of people don't really enjoy learning more than is necessary, some not even that much.

Wow, 275/1440 is almost 1/5. And if you spend 8 hours sleeping and 10 hours on work/school and related things, that's 2/3 of your spare time. Yipes.

Last edited:
Reading is more educational than TV. Most people who watch TV don't use it for educational purposes, just as many who have the internet don't use it for educational or other useful purposes.

I don't know whether its the way the thread is worded or whatever, but there aren't that many replies. I think most people don't like to assess their lives and remove time-wasting activities because they think that that is how they 'relax.' Perhaps they don't realize there is more to life than television. One of the things I really don't like about this TV-centered lifestyle is that it actually causes fights between people arguing over what to watch. I have done this, and sometimes still do, but I don't like it at all.

I think if anyone gets rid of their TV, they will become more productive, and will find benefit from it. I know loads of people who have; I personally cannot because my family won't let me, and our family time often becomes TV time...

1. What is "Consent of the Governed : Now a Commodity"?

"Consent of the Governed : Now a Commodity" is a concept that refers to the idea that the government only has power because the people consent to be governed. It suggests that the people have the ultimate authority and can withdraw their consent if the government fails to serve their interests.

2. How is "Consent of the Governed : Now a Commodity" relevant in today's society?

In today's society, "Consent of the Governed : Now a Commodity" is relevant because it highlights the importance of citizen participation in government and holding elected officials accountable. It also raises questions about the role of money and special interests in politics and the impact on the consent of the governed.

3. What are some potential consequences of the erosion of "Consent of the Governed : Now a Commodity"?

If the consent of the governed is eroded, it can lead to a lack of trust in the government and its institutions. This can result in political instability, social unrest, and a breakdown of democracy. It also opens the door for authoritarianism and abuse of power by those in positions of authority.

4. How can we ensure that the consent of the governed is protected?

To protect the consent of the governed, it is important to have transparency in government and hold elected officials accountable. This can be achieved through measures such as campaign finance reform, increasing citizen participation in the political process, and promoting government ethics and integrity.

5. What role do individuals play in upholding the concept of "Consent of the Governed : Now a Commodity"?

Individuals play a crucial role in upholding the concept of "Consent of the Governed : Now a Commodity" by actively participating in the democratic process and holding their elected officials accountable. This can be done through voting, speaking out against injustices, and staying informed about political issues and policies. By exercising their rights and responsibilities as citizens, individuals can help ensure that the government serves the interests of the people.