1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation law for any potential field?

1. Dec 29, 2015 #1
    Consider a free particle moving in a general time-dependent scalar potential. Energy & momentum are not conserved. However, there is a symmetry in the lagrangian: the velocity appears only as its square, so we can rotate it without affecting the value of L. What conservation law results from this symmetry?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2015 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Conservation of angular momentum.

4. Dec 29, 2015 #3
    No, that's in the case of a central potential, where the symmetry is a rotation of both the position & velocity. I am asking about a completely arbitrary potential, and noting that rotation of the velocity alone should still be a symmetry.

5. Dec 29, 2015 #4

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Hmm, that is a good point that I missed. You would still calculate the conserved quantity using Noether's theorem, but I don't know what it would be offhand.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  6. Dec 31, 2015 #5
    One bump...

7. Dec 31, 2015 #6
    Isn't this just time reversal symmetry?

8. Dec 31, 2015 #7
    No, I'm talking about rotating the velocity by a general angle in any direction. This should be a continuous symmetry.

9. Dec 31, 2015 #8

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You cannot just rotate the velocity without rotating the coordinate system itself. The transformations covered by Noether's theorem are of the form ##t \to t +ks## and ##\vec x \to \vec X(t,s,\vec x)##, not transformations of the velocities.

You can do more general canonical transformations in Hamiltonian mechanics, but based on the symmetries of the Lagrangian this is not the case. In order to have a symmetry of the Lagrangian you therefore need to have rotational symmetry of the potential as well, resulting in conservation of angular momentum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook