1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation laws in a curve spacetime

1. Feb 22, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given the energy-momentum tensor for a perfect fluid, what is the conservation laws that I can compute from

[tex]
    \nabla_b T^{ab}=0
    [/tex]

in a curve space-time.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]
    T^{ab}=(\rho + p) u^a u^b - p g^{ab}
    [/tex]

where p is the pressure and [itex]\rho[/itex] is the density.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have already compute the geodesic equation, the equivalent to the equation of motion in a flat space-time.
    I would like to know if there is any other conservation law to get. I supose that might be another one equivalent to the Navie-Strokes in flat space-time...

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just write [tex]\nabla_b T^{ab}=0[/tex] explicitly in components (in terms of density, pressure and scale factor). You will get a conservation type eqn.

4. Feb 22, 2007 #3
    In terms of scale factor? The problem is that they dont give me a metric. I dont know what to with the [itex]g^{ab}[/itex] term...

5. Feb 22, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I guess I was thinking of the problem in FRW background. Can you simplify anything w/o a metric???? Not sure...

6. Feb 22, 2007 #5
    Well. I have already compute the equation of motion, in a curve space, from [itex]\nabla_b T^{ab}=0[/itex]. So I suppose that there may be another one...

7. Feb 24, 2007 #6
    In general, there isn't any other conservation law, besides the covariant divergence of the energy-momentum tensor. However, if you have a space-time with a continuous symetry, there's a Killing field defined on the space-time, associated to that symettry. It can then serves to define another conservation law, in a similar way as a Noether current.

8. Feb 24, 2007 #7
    What about this:

[tex]

\nabla_b T^{ab}=\nabla_b((\rho + p) u^a u^b) - g^{ab} \nabla_b p = 0

[/tex]

where I have used [itex]\nabla_b g^{ab} = 0[/itex]

[tex]
    u^a \nabla_b((\rho + p) u^b) + (\rho + p) u^b \nabla_b u^a -g^{ab} \nabla_b p = 0
    [/tex]

[tex]
    u_a u^a \nabla_b((\rho + p) u^b) + (\rho + p) u^b u_a \nabla_bu^a -g^{ab} u_a \nabla_b p = 0
    [/tex]

using the fact that [itex]\nabla_b (u_a u^a) = \nabla_b 1 \Leftrightarrow 2 u_a \nabla_b u^a = 0[/itex], I get

[tex]
    \nabla_b((\rho + p) u^b) = g^{ab} u_a \nabla_b p
    [/tex]

using this in the second equation I get

[tex]
    (\rho + p) u^b \nabla_b u^a = 0
    [/tex]

or

[tex]
    \nabla_u u^a = 0
    [/tex]

So I can saw that the equation of motion (a conservation law) can be derived from [itex]\nabla_b T^{ab}=0[/itex].
    Am I wrong?

Just has I said above, they dont give me any metric, so I cant compute the Killing vectors.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  9. Feb 25, 2007 #8
    From equation

[tex]

\nabla_b T^{ab}=\nabla_b((\rho + p) u^a u^b) - g^{ab} \nabla_b p = 0,

[/tex]

you get the following :

(1) [tex]
    \nabla_a ((\rho + p) u^a) = u^a \nabla_a p,
    [/tex]

AND :

(2) [tex]
    (\rho + p) u^a \nabla_a ( u^b) = (g^{ab} - u^a u^b) \nabla_a p.
    [/tex]

In the case of a pressureless gaz, p = 0, and you get the conservation of "matter" AND the geodesics equation :

(3) [tex]
    \nabla_a (\rho u^a) = 0,
    [/tex]

AND :

(4) [tex]
    u^a \nabla_a ( u^b) = 0.
    [/tex]

There's no need of any particular metric to define conserved quantites with the Killing fields.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?