Conservation of angular momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a rod and ball collision on a frictionless table. The conservation of angular momentum is applied to calculate the motion of the objects after the collision. However, there is a discrepancy between the solution and the proposed calculation, with the solution considering the conservation of angular momentum about the rod's center of mass while the proposed calculation considers the conservation of angular momentum about a fixed point. This leads to the conclusion that the conservation of angular momentum is always relative to a fixed point and not necessarily the center of mass of the system. Additionally, the acceleration of the center of mass of the system should be taken into account when applying the conservation of angular momentum.
RingNebula57
Hello everyone!
I have a problem , to which I do not understand the law of conservation of angular momentum... I searched this problem on the web and it is obvious that I am making the mistake.
So we have a rod of length ##L## and mass ##m## that is lying on a horizontal frictionless table. We hit the rod at one end, perpendicular to the rod, with a ball of mass ##m## that is rolling on the table with initial speed ##v_0##. After they collide elastically , the rod begins rotational and translational motion with angular velocity ##\omega##(about its CM) and velocity ##v_1##(of the CM) , while the ball continues its translation with velocity ##v_2##, in the same direction as the initial velocity ##v_0##.
Now , if we consider the moment of inertia of the rod about its center of mass to be ## I ## , I say that the conservation of angular momentum about the center of mass of the rod is:

## m \cdot v_0 \cdot \frac{L}{2} = m \cdot (v_2 - v_1) \cdot \frac{L}{2} + I \cdot \omega ##
But the solution says:

## m \cdot v_0 \cdot \frac{L}{2} = m \cdot v_2 \cdot \frac{L}{2} + I \cdot \omega ##

##( I = m \cdot \frac {L^2}{12} )##

why ?
Isn't the conservation of angular momentum always relative to the center of mass of the rod?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
RingNebula57 said:
Isn't the conservation of angular momentum always relative to the center of mass of the rod?
It's always. (period). And here you choose the center of mass for the calculation. ##v_1## can't appear in there. (but it does of course appear in the conservation of linear momentum)

Conservation of momentum applies when angular momentum is calculated about a fixed point which may or may not be the center of momentum of some particular object within your closed system and which may or may not be at the center of mass of the entire system. The key is that it is a fixed point. Anchoring it to an object which undergoes acceleration is a good way to have conservation of [angular] momentum not apply.

In some treatments, the reference point is taken as the origin of a coordinate system in your chosen inertial frame. But one can use any point that is in uniform motion by simply translating to an [inertial] reference frame where that point is the origin.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71 and Andreas C
Before applying angular momentum conservation think about 2 things.
First:
point about which you are applying angular momentum conservation. Whether point is stationary or moving or accelerated.
If accelerated you have to apply pseudo force to CENTER OF MASS OF THE SYSTEM ON WHICH YOU APPLY ANGULAR MOMENTUM CONSERVATION.
Second: system on which you apply it. If there is net tourqe acting (including psuedo force torque) angular momentum conservation invalid.

So here COM of rod is accelerated frame of reference, psuedo force has to be applied on system's COM i.e. on COM of rod plus bullet system. And definitely COM of rod does not match COM of system so you can't apply angular momentum conservation (psuedo force torque)

1. What is conservation of angular momentum?

Conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. This means that the rotational motion of a system will not change unless an external force is applied.

2. How is angular momentum defined?

Angular momentum is defined as the product of the moment of inertia and the angular velocity of an object. It is a measure of an object's tendency to continue spinning at a constant rate.

3. What are the key principles of conservation of angular momentum?

The key principles of conservation of angular momentum are that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external torques, and that angular momentum can be transferred between objects through collisions or interactions.

4. Why is conservation of angular momentum important?

Conservation of angular momentum is important because it is a fundamental law of nature that governs the motion of objects in rotational systems. It has practical applications in fields such as astrophysics, engineering, and sports.

5. How is conservation of angular momentum related to Newton's laws of motion?

Conservation of angular momentum is related to Newton's laws of motion in that it is based on the principle of inertia, which states that an object will maintain its state of motion unless acted upon by an external force. This is similar to Newton's first law of motion, which is also known as the law of inertia.